Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord

'Bang for buck' rear suspension shock mount replacement

I'm after advice on 'bang for buck' improvements to my daily 94 Accord CD5.

The problem: RWC fail for rear shock mounts.
    Quote to replace rear shock mounts: $300.
    My budget: $200 - $400.

I read on Ozhonda that upgrades Sway/Strut Bars + Alignment + Tyres can improve handling on corners. (Thanks amant02 thread Upgrades-for-H22A).

My questions:
    1. Should I replace the shock absorbers at the same time as shock mounts?
    2. It is worth fitting a rear strut brace? Is it straight forward to fit?
    3. Shock mounts aren't expensive, are they? If I remove the rear shocks, is it wise to take them to a shop to have the mounts replaced (or am I better to leave the whole car with my mechanic)?

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Shock mount, they're referring to the "bushes"?
    SSpamily

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    94 Accord CD5 is already 20year old vehicle. And suspension is gonna be one of those things over time will wear and tear.

Q1.Should I replace the shock absorbers at the same time as shock mounts?
    It really depends on the shock absorbers condition. If its not leaking or knocking i wouldnt bother.
    just need to look at the base of the shock to see if the shock absorber bush is perished or not. I can say for me i had it completely moved over like the below example

Q2.It is worth fitting a rear strut brace? Is it straight forward to fit?
    It should be straight forward. But when you say the CD5 is your daily and you want bang for buck. I reckon just the rear bushes and shocks + labor should be the priority and if you have left over funds then opt for a rear strut brace.

Q3. Shock mounts aren't expensive, are they? If I remove the rear shocks, is it wise to take them to a shop to have the mounts replaced (or am I better to leave the whole car with my mechanic)?
    i dont believe bushes will be expensive to replace its always the labour that a mechanic will charge to replace bushes yes.
    Real savings $$$ here will be able to source second hand better condition parts LOCALLY.

The more expensive path and perhaps preserving the future of your CD5 is going all out aftermarket. NEW shocks, New Springs, , Bushes. If you plan on keeping it LONG term.

example
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCA-Acco...item27d2edfad0

94 CD5 parts dont appear to be regular everyday parts.
    Op, seeing as your from Vic.
    have you tried wreckers like
    http://www.hondworld.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    Thank you very much Snoop_gee. Second hand in Melbourne is worth exploring.

@cbauto:
    I had assumed by 'shock mounts' the RWC fail was for the rubber bush at the top of the shock. I'll need to clarify this.
    [edit: bottom! my bad.]
    Last edited by waz94Accord; 08-04-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: edit: it's the bottom bushes. not top!

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Go to a wrecker and get some second hand shocks for $50 a piece
    Borrow a mates spring compressor replace them yourself
    Rear lower strut bar is almost useless in an accord
    You're better of getting a front lower strut bar/upper

Remember our accord's are a 'boat' compared to civics and what not
    Best handling mod would be get a wheel alignment, make sure your shocks/control arms are good
    And the most important is tyres! and tyre pressure
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Yup tyre pressure is best bang for buck. Tyres themselves are just as detrimental. Cheap tyres have flimsy side walls.
    Rear strut tower brace? Meh...only semi useful in wagons...even then its debatable

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by dove grey 64 View Post
    Yup tyre pressure is best bang for buck. Tyres themselves are just as detrimental. Cheap tyres have flimsy side walls.
    Rear strut tower brace? Meh...only semi useful in wagons...even then its debatable
    Pretty much
    As the accord already has an oem subframe bracing and a rear swaybar

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    I should clarify:

The rear 'shock mounts' referred (above) are the bushes at the bottom of the shock absorber assemblies. Thanks for the advise and insight.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by waz94Accord View Post
    I should clarify:

The rear 'shock mounts' referred (above) are the bushes at the bottom of the shock absorber assemblies. Thanks for the advise and insight.
    You cannot replace those rubber mounts
    You'll need to get a whole new shock assembly
    Honda parts dont sell them individually

Edit: OH shit never mind
    Part number 15
    http://www.hondapartsdirect.com/auto...peed-automatic

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    Yes, Jasemas, the diagram shows, the top mounts (e.g. #15 and #7) can be replaced!

My first task however, is to understand the bottom mounts, and how to replace them. That's what I need for the RWC.

Q. I can go to a local auto supply show to get a kit for the bottom mounts, can't I?

Any other recommendations about where to go or how much to pay?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    You WILL have to remove the shock from the car and use a spring compressor, remove the spring, and disassemble it
    in my opinion its not worth it to pull the whole thing apart just to replace the lower shock mounts,
    might as well do the upper shock mount too and other bits
    Or you can just by second hand ones from the wreckers and hope theyre in good nick/or find a guy on gumtree wrecking a cd5 accord and lowball him

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Jasemas's diagram link shows that your shocks have a forked end at the bottom with a bolt that passes through it and which also passes through the lower mount (bush). In this case that bush is pressed into the LCA (lower control arm). That bush is a press fit in the arm and can be replaced. SnoopG's photo shows the other type of shock bush that is in the shock itself, referred to as "eyelet type", non-replaceable.