Member Array
    Car:
    Accord

from 195/60 R15 to 215/45 R17

I'm wondering about legal tire sizes for a 1994 Accord (CD5).

Stock tires are 195/60 R15
    Stock rims are 5.5x15 ET50

Considering new rims with tires: 215/45 R17 (they've already been on a 1993 Accord).

For the new tires, the section width increase is 22 mm (10%).
    The tire diameter increase in is 10mm (2%).
    & "When speedometer reads 60 mph actual speed will be 61 mph."

Questions:
    1. How concerned should I be about offsets?
    2. Is 215/45 R17 legal for a CD5?

Note: I've read this.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...el-information

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    i'm quite sure it's illegal given it's over 1" larger.

Will anyone care?

no

you should be very concerned with offsets. Post them up and someone will be able to advise whether or not they will fit/clash with things
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    Please can anyone refer me to the relevant legislation/guidelines?

And, yes, I can see offsets are important.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-on-CD5-Accord

I admit I haven't read the legislation for a while, but my understanding was that you were limited to a 1/2" maximum increase in rolling diameter and track. By that, the actual rim size isn't that big a deal as long as the overall tyre diameter is still within the allowable +/- 1/2" (13mm).

Some insurance companies won't let you go more than 1" bigger or wider, but this isn't (wasn't) actually a legal requirement. It also refers to the largest wheel / tyre combo fitted to the car from the factory. Also, ensure that load ratings and speed ratings are maintained. Generally, a super low profile tyre won't have as high a load rating as the factory tyre, but this should not be a big issue on a light (ish) Honda.

As always, if you have a specific concern or query, ring your state's transport department and ask to speak to the technical section. They will be able to answer any queries. Don't rely on internet myths for legal advice because you don't know any of us from a bar of soap.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...et2=46#content

Laws are something like maximum of 2" increase of wheel diameter. Rolling diameter is roughly the same
    use the site I linked to check. It's beautiful for finding things like this out

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    My mechanic agrees with Curtis: more that 1" larger is illegal!
    So, 'cause my stock are 15", I need 16" max. And tires to fit, of course.

And, anyone who thinks otherwise should contact their local authority's technical department (VicRoads in Victoria).
    Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by waz94Accord View Post

And, anyone who thinks otherwise should contact their local authority's technical department (VicRoads in Victoria).
    Thanks.
    1" larger than whatever was offered on that chassis, which is not necessarily what you have on your car

i can almost guarantee you 100% you will never be picked up for having a wheel a bit too big.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by waz94Accord View Post

Thanks.
    In width, yes but not in diameter.

10 minutes of googling found this on the vicroads website. Section 13.3.2 Option 2 (on page 7) describes what is allowed in terms of dimensions of aftermarket wheels.

The main section on their website is here, and lists all of the applicable standards. Note that these have to be read in conjunction with ADR's, and unless there's something in those which contradicts the above, you should be sweet to use 17x6.5 rims as long as the tyres are appropriate, track isn't affected too much etc.

As I said earlier, they don't care about the diameter of the rim, (width is another story) as long as the overall diameter of the wheel / tyre combo falls within the acceptable envelope.

Good advice on contacting Vicroads though. That's the only way to be 100% certain.

After saying all that, unless you're running ridiculously sized wheels / tyres, or massive dish that sticks out past the guards, you're unlikely to have trouble with the law as Curtis has pointed out a couple of times already.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Generally they don't get too sad when pulling you over, unless your wheels are massive (as in, your speedo is going to be off massive) and your tyres are poking out passed your guards. It seems they pretty much run it by the suspension travel (or height, depending on what it is in your state) and if the tyres are inside of the guards.

But, could have sworn it was 2" more in diameter, and maximum of like 25mm wider track roughly. Can't remember exactly. That however, may be tas' laws.

As said, if in doubt, contact vicroads or your states version. Although, half the time they don't know themselves.

But yeah, as for rolling diameter, use willtheyfit.com. It'll give you a good idea of how much extra poke you'll have, how much extra tyre you'll have, what your speedo will be out by, and how much stretch or what not the tyre will have. It's a great site

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    here is the VSB
    http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._2011%20v3.pdf

notable parts
    "The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not
    be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle
    manufacturer for that model."

"Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre and rim combination to within
    the degree of accuracy specified in ADR 18 where applicable. It is suggested that the degree of
    accuracy is in accordance with the most recent version of ADR18."

"Tyres fitted to passenger cars or passenger car derivatives must not be more than 30% wider
    than vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.
    The rim width must not exceed the recommendations for the tyre fitted.
    For example, if the original widest optional tyre is 185mm, the maximum tyre width is 1.3 times
    185mm = 240.5mm, i.e. a 235mm wide tyre. The maximum rim width for a 235mm tyre is
    9 inches if the aspect ratio is 60 or below."

"The wheel track of passenger cars (or derivatives) must not be increased by more than 25mm
    beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. This
    means that the rim offset must not be changed by more than 12.5mm"