DC2R Reverse Lights Not Working

Hi All,

Have a really strange issue with my 2000 DC2R reversing lights.

I had the clutch replaced on the car recently, and have found my reverse lights
    have stopped working.

So this is what I have done so far:

Checked the fuse number 19 on the fusebox under the dash, tested continuity OK
    Checked the switch is getting a 12V supply, and when in reverse both pins on switch show 12V
    Tested that the lightbulbs are OK, and tested with another pair.
    Checked there is 12V at the lightbulb sockets when car is in reverse and key is in on position.

I suspect that although it's showing 12V at the rear that maybe somehow it's not enough current to power the bulbs,

So is there something else blown? or a bad earth ? I have the factory manual and there is a straight circuit from the fuse to the switch
    and then back to the lights, nothing I can see in between that might interfere.

I also disconnected the plug halfway up the transmission and used a piece of copper wire to bypass the switch, same result. only thing I haven't done is measure resistance in case its high indicating something shorting out.

If anyone has come across this same issue and fixed it, please let me know.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by tseesinngwailo; 14-05-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added troubleshooting steps
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

OK, so on the weekend, I followed the loom a bit more.
    So there is a plug just above the clutch slave cylinder, I can verify there is 12V+ on the yellow wire at this point.
    A bit further up just under the strut brace, there's a 2nd much larger plug, again, I can test I have 12V+ here, and there's enough current to light a 21W bulb (one side earthed to body of car)
    But if I then run a wire direct from the battery +V into the green/black wire on the plug (wiring diagrams identify this as going direct to the bulbs) I still get no reverse lights.
    I have tried a separate earth wire to the bulbs in the rear, again nothing different.
    I can get a reading on a multimeter of 12V at the bulb socket, but again there seems to be no actually current large enough to operate the bulbs.

Suspecting there's either another plug somewhere along the line, or a bad wire join, but strange it only affects this one circuit.

Any ideas?

Does someone have a loom removed from a car they can look at to see how this wire runs to the back?

Thanks
    Chris
    (\__/)

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Goodluck Chris
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

If you are getting 12v at the light socket, surely it is a problem with the earth at the light housing.

Use a multimeter, check continuity from chassis/earth to the light socket earth. if no good ground the globe to somewhere else on the chassis to test.

If still not working, swap out the reverse switch with a known good one. If it is a problem with current draw then it could be the contacts on the reverse switch, I would be surprised that having 12v at the light housing you cant get any lights at all if you have a good earth.

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies, but I just wanted to write and say I found it!

There is a large multi-pin plug in the rear wiring loom harness, it's located behind the rear seat speaker above the arm-rest on the drivers side rear seat, had to remove heaps of the interior, rear strut brace, rear chassis brace, and one of the rear seat backs to get at it, turns out there was a slightly corroded pin, so over time it eventually turned into a big resistor, that's why I could get 12V+ at the lights, but not enough current to turn them on.

Unplugged it and then used a can of spray contact cleaner to clean it all up, then replugged and bam! I have reversing lights again, even seem brighter than before. Am very happy that it didn't require rewiring or that the issue was up under the dash.

Now to fix all the other niggly things I have never got around to

Cheers
    Chris
    (\__/)

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    wow. Never would have expected this to be the problem. Good to know though

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    god damn

nicem8
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by tseesinngwailo View Post
    Hey All,

Thanks for the replies, but I just wanted to write and say I found it!

There is a large multi-pin plug in the rear wiring loom harness, it's located behind the rear seat speaker above the arm-rest on the drivers side rear seat, had to remove heaps of the interior, rear strut brace, rear chassis brace, and one of the rear seat backs to get at it, turns out there was a slightly corroded pin, so over time it eventually turned into a big resistor, that's why I could get 12V+ at the lights, but not enough current to turn them on.

Unplugged it and then used a can of spray contact cleaner to clean it all up, then replugged and bam! I have reversing lights again, even seem brighter than before. Am very happy that it didn't require rewiring or that the issue was up under the dash.

Now to fix all the other niggly things I have never got around to

Cheers
    Chris

How were the other pins?

source of corrosion?
    SSpamily

Other pins were OK, I think it's just go some moisture in it maybe, the car is 14 years old now, but it appears that only the one pin had an issue, could have been worse if it was the fuel pump supply.
    (\__/)