Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

repair and repaint cl9 rims

Ok so due to the roaring success of my last DIY venture I thought I would try and redeem myself and help you guys out with a DIY wheel resto.

First things first here are the things you will need

Wheels
    Axle stands
    Sandpaper (used 80grit, 180, 800, 1200)
    Body filler
    Filler cards
    Filler primer
    Minor hand tools ( screwdriver, socket set for removing wheels)
    Wax and grease remover
    Rags(lots)
    Drop sheet
    New H transfers (optional)
    Paint
    Clear coat

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Whats H Transfers.

Heres my list of Goodies Im using this weekend.

Sand Paper - 180/240 to remove the old paint. 1200 for the smooth finish.
    BOG
    Tape
    Paint - Spray
    Clear Coat - Spray
    Cardboard box x 5
    News paper
    New Enkie Stickers.
    Wax and grease remover.

So first of all I threw the axle stands in under the car and removed all the wheels, and for the purpose of a good job I had the tyres and valves removed also.

First thing is to thoroughly clean the rims. This makes everything following much easier and should help give a good finish.
    The next step is to sand or file the high spots and fill the dents in the wheel with either a body filler or and automotive spot putty. I waited an hour then sanded with 80 and 180 grit paper to give the wheels their shape back.

They looked something
    I've this (before and after)

I bought the honda centre cap transfers to give it some detail. Are you doing those honda/enkei wheels some preludes have!?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    No Enkie RP01's and Im im keeping my tyres on lol. If i were to get them removed, Rather get my wheel guy to do the whole thing @ $55 per a wheel. Properly welded and sprayed with a gun.
    Last edited by amant02; 16-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.

That's a pretty good deal! I need new ones for rego so it's not costing me what it would for my mechanic do just do it. What colour are you doing them?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Jet Black or Dark Bronze. Havn't decided on paint yet. Gonna go supercheap tmr and compare what they can mix up for me.

These are what the original wheel colour looks like with a god amount of filler ( the previous owner annoyed minimal gutter clearance it seems)

The wheel all sanded compared to the new colour centre caps (jdm cl7 kaiser silver)

so after bogging, sanding (180 grit for bog and then 800 over the whole wheel) its prime time.

light sanding is a must for adhesion and if you're going to buy anything expensive in this diy, buy a reasonable filler primer.

mine was a $10 job and it clogged every few passes.

Here is how it looked filler primed and not sanded back.

very happy thus far considering the bad state of the rims when i purchased the car. next is wet sanding and colour!

heres a photo of the centre caps before their clear coat. excited!

First coat....s844.photobucket.com/user/thomwootton/media/imagejpg3.jpg.html][/URL]