Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

dc2 cluster problem

Hi guys recently changed my cluster dials but now for some reason my fuel gauge will not read. The pin drops way past E and even when I drive around for a while it doesn't detect a thing. I had a spare one from a working cluster and swapped that in and it still didn't work. So far I made sure that all the connections are plugged and that the screws are in nicely. I even tried position the needle to where the last fuel reading was but it just drops down all the way. Help greatly appreciated! Thanks

*EDIT - I thought I could fix it but turns out my speedometer is off about roughly 10 km/h too high (used a gps to get an estimate). So I'd be doing 60km/h when it actually reads 70km/h. I tried putting the needle in when the car was on idle so that it started off that 0 km/h but still reads 10 higher. My revs seem to be about right tho
    Last edited by sondang; 23-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    needles dont reset at zero, resets below zero.

on the speedometer, if there wasn't the pin to hold the needle at zero, the needle will drop below zero.

if you know what i mean
    SSpamily

Oh yeah I mean I placed it where the pin holds the needle, just assumed that was 0. Would different needles have any affect? I might've swapped an older one for a newer one but they're both dc2 vti-r clusters.

Just noticed that theres a slight difference in the needles

The speedometer has a metal pin that raises higher while the revs speedometer has a shorter metal pin. Which needle goes into which dial?
    Last edited by sondang; 23-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    you need to place it on below the pin, then lift it over the pin back to zero.

trial and error till you get the km/h right.

up a bit, down a bit, till its right.

have someone next to you with gps
    SSpamily

Quote Originally Posted by cbauto View Post
    you need to place it on below the pin, then lift it over the pin back to zero.

trial and error till you get the km/h right.

up a bit, down a bit, till its right.

have someone next to you with gps
    Ohh okay I didn't realise it started off below the pin, yep will definitely do that. Thanks! Any ideas on my fuel gauge problem?

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by sondang View Post
    Ohh okay I didn't realise it started off below the pin, yep will definitely do that. Thanks! Any ideas on my fuel gauge problem?
    fill to full, reset needle to full?
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by sondang View Post
    Hi guys recently changed my cluster dials but now for some reason my fuel gauge will not read. The pin drops way past E and even when I drive around for a while it doesn't detect a thing. I had a spare one from a working cluster and swapped that in and it still didn't work. So far I made sure that all the connections are plugged and that the screws are in nicely. I even tried position the needle to where the last fuel reading was but it just drops down all the way. Help greatly appreciated! Thanks

*EDIT - I thought I could fix it but turns out my speedometer is off about roughly 10 km/h too high (used a gps to get an estimate). So I'd be doing 60km/h when it actually reads 70km/h. I tried putting the needle in when the car was on idle so that it started off that 0 km/h but still reads 10 higher. My revs seem to be about right tho
    before i took needles off, i recorded rpm at 30km/h, 50km/h, 70km/h in 3rd gear and same in 4th gear.
    SSpamily

Quote Originally Posted by cbauto View Post
    fill to full, reset needle to full?
    How do I reset the needle? everytime I adjust the needle and when I start the car it just dips all the way back past E. I'll try filling it up anyway and see how it goes

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    dc2/dc2r fuel gauges usually stay on when ignition is turned off.
    SSpamily

Ah serious? Mine just keeps dipping down below E and I just filled it up today as well. It was working fine before I touched it..

There is a test for the fuel sender in the manual to test the gauge. Have a search for it on google if you don't have a copy of the service manual.

Did you take the fuel gauge needle off too? Or change the power/grounding or any other wiring to the cluster besides changing the needles?

Quote Originally Posted by rc_ View Post
    There is a test for the fuel sender in the manual to test the gauge. Have a search for it on google if you don't have a copy of the service manual.

Did you take the fuel gauge needle off too? Or change the power/grounding or any other wiring to the cluster besides changing the needles?
    Okay thanks for that! Nah just the needle, I even tried putting the original needle with it's cluster and I've tried replacing the fuel gauge with another spare one I had. I'll try the test asap