Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra

Question Turbocharging an Integra

Heya guys, this is my first post here. After having a quick search it seems some people have asked this question before but none have a specific engine and turbo combination so here goes.

I recently bought myself a project car which I plan on turbocharging. It's a Honda Integra 1993 also known as Acura in other parts of the world, with a B18B1 Honda engine. One of my roommates is into cars as well, (gotta say I'm quite jealous of his ~400KW AWD skyline) and has gifted me a turbocharger which he no longer needs. A Garret GT2560R.

I've been doing some research on installing this puppy on my NASP car and I'm seeking some guidance to do this safely. I have quite a low budget (~$1000) and would like a reliable end product.
    What sort of things should I look out for, and is this even possible?

Thanks in advance
    Tombini

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    The exhaust will cost you about your budget if you can't make it yourself..
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Quote Originally Posted by tombini View Post
    Heya guys, this is my first post here. After having a quick search it seems some people have asked this question before but none have a specific engine and turbo combination so here goes.

I recently bought myself a project car which I plan on turbocharging. It's a Honda Integra 1993 also known as Acura in other parts of the world, with a B18B1 Honda engine. One of my roommates is into cars as well, (gotta say I'm quite jealous of his ~400KW AWD skyline) and has gifted me a turbocharger which he no longer needs. A Garret GT2560R.

I've been doing some research on installing this puppy on my NASP car and I'm seeking some guidance to do this safely. I have quite a low budget (~$1000) and would like a reliable end product.
    What sort of things should I look out for, and is this even possible?

Thanks in advance
    Tombini

Add another $9,000 to your budget and you should be ok.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    I'm planning on getting a turbo manifold from ebay and TIG welding the entire exhaust system myself. My question is mainly; will this blow up my engine? AND, what do I need to do to make sure I don't blow up the engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Ebay manifolds are renowned for not lasting long so I'd budget a lot more than the $200 or so to buy it initially. Cooler and pipe work would be about $500 if you weld it up yourself. Pump and injectors $300 for second hand, dodgy tuning using a burner etc about $600. Dump pipe, cat, exhaust-$500, incidentals $200.

So about $2.5k absolute minimum for a pretty average setup probably netting you about 145kw atw (really rough guess) and that's with your free turbo.

Then gauges, radiator, clutch(when it fails) etc etc. ..... Costs a lot but it is fun
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    I'm really looking forward to this! Not just for the results but also learning the mechanics as you go through.
    The real answer I need, is whether this will destroy the engine. Whether it be by knocking, premature ignition or simply too much stress on the con-rod or pistons.

Will my engine blow up? How can I prevent it?

Engine will handle it you will be ok, go for it!!

I'm really looking forward to this! Not just for the results but also learning the mechanics as you go through.
    The real answer I need, is whether this will destroy the engine. Whether it be by knocking, premature ignition or simply too much stress on the con-rod or pistons.

Will my engine blow up? How can I prevent it?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Keep the boost at safe levels andn you'll be right.

Dont' forget to factor in an ECU + tuning and dyno time
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    be sure to find a good tuna

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    What sort of boost levels will I be able to run this setup safely?

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    What sort of boost levels will I be able to run this setup safely?
    27psi
    SSpamily

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by cbauto View Post
    27psi
    Sounds legit...

I was thinking something around 6-8 PSI. If I increased that value, what would be the first component to go?