Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

Trying to find an exhaust system...having a hard time. Please help.

I recently bought a 1996 CRX and I'm looking to to add an exhaust and air intake for an increase in power. I've been using google to look up exhaust kits but I'm having a hard time finding parts which will be compatible with my car. From what I've read, CRXs are called Del Sols in the US and they come in SOHC variants. Does anyone know a good Australian website with different exhaust packages and prices?

Go to your local exhaust shop and get one made up. will be around the same price after you pay for shipping and stuff. a lot of the US stuff is a pain because you will need test pipes or different cats and stuff. unless you buy a jap built one they will fit easily but are decently expensive usually.

Member Array
    Car:
    EKD
    custpm catback exhaust
    1-200 cell hiflo cat
    jdm headers

bingo

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by [stealth] View Post
    custpm catback exhaust
    1-200 cell hiflo cat
    jdm headers

bingo
    Any trusted websites where I can browse? Cheers for the suggestions!

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Any trusted websites where I can browse? Cheers for the suggestions!
    By you saying this, gives me the idea you have not done this before.

Hey welcome to modding your car.

Before we start talking exhausts, letme tell you this. This isn't fast and furious where you run SR20s inside civics. I have not seen a real life application of NOS as they make it out either.

So doing things like adding exhausts and cold air takes WILL give you gains, but it won't be offt VTEC BRAAAAAA!. It sure wil sound like it, but idunno each to their own.

To gain maximum power from these very expensive mods for example if you want say something like TODA Headers with Spoon Catback. Will easily cost an arm and a leg.

You will gain like 20hp atw with a tune on a stock motor(Im being nice here).

Do the maths, Im just rounding on prices here.

Descent Headers - $600
    Descent Cat Back - $400
    Descent Cat Converter - $150
    Descent CAI - $300

Total of $1450 for 20hp gain. Thats $72.50 for every HP gained. Again 20hp again is a very over estimated number and you will need a Tune to make the most of the power.

Then you gota add things like Aftermarket ECU and Tune which arent cheap either and increasing the cost per hp gained.

Now if you wanna look like a douche and make all kinds of fart noises and go no where. This is the mod for you!

If what your really chasing is power or go fast mods. Do more research for that much moneys, maybe good set of tyres/Brake upgrade? Suspension? Flywheel and Clutch Kit? Even the 98 itr gbox will deliever you more performace.

a CRX with 98itr gbox + HD Clutch Kit + Flywheel stock otherwise will munch a CRX with Intake + Headers + Exhaust stock otherwise

Both mods will cost approximently the same, if you going for a descent intake headers and exhaust.

Now if your chasing just for sound. Go to any exhaust shop, tell them you want 2.5inch mendrel bent cat back with a cannon. This will cost approx $300 and it will achieve the goal of farting noises and not go fast.

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    Hi Op,

First of all congrats on getting a CRX.
    yes the U.S models are Sohc
    while the Aus model will more than like be the dohc b16a.
    So when choosing an exhaust setup online.
    know all the items of the bits your replacing.

Some of them are covers which go over certain parts of the exhaust to deflect the heat and protect the exhaust item.
    Factory OEM exhaust manifold (4) cover
    Factory Catalyst Converter (10) (9) cover

*When replacing the exhaust these covers wont fit and you wont need to use them with your after market exhaust.

The b16a headers is part (1) and (6) combined in the above diagram

Then a highflow cat.

As some have said an exhaust place is probably best after you buy the b16a headers online man.

If your in NSW
    Liverpool Exhaust should get it done.

If your in Melbourne, Vic

Address: 8, 159 Newlands Rd, Coburg North VIC 3058
    Phone:(03) 9350 1988

even our WhiteKing S13 got a fantastic job done.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Thanks for the replies!

Amant02, you're right in thinking that I haven't done this before...This is the first car that I've owned that I've wanted to modify, even if it's slightly. I'm not looking for too much of a power increase from the engine, I was lucky enough though to find a CRX that was owned by an older woman who drove it very rarely. Everything on the car is standard and in really really good condition. Honestly, I'll be happy with a 20-30 bhp gain and I would probably look to stop there. I just don't know where to start with all of this, I don't have any friends who have any knowledge on modifying cars and sourcing JDM parts.
    I appreciate your help a lot!

Edit: I should probably mention that I'd like the gains with the sound that a modded exhaust offers...I love the way Honda engines resonate and want to amplify it. (I must sound like a really big noob haha)
    Last edited by Blaze; 26-08-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    To gain maximum power from these very expensive mods for example if you want say something like TODA Headers with Spoon Catback. Will easily cost an arm and a leg.

You will gain like 20hp atw with a tune on a stock motor(Im being nice here).

Do the maths, Im just rounding on prices here.

Descent Headers - $600
    Descent Cat Back - $400
    Descent Cat Converter - $150
    Descent CAI - $300
    Above you mentioned TODA headers, are the prices you've described around the mark I'd be looking at paying for parts like TODA/Mugen headers etc? Or are they amounts for other brands and the TODA ones would be much more expensive?

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    decent. hehe
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

TODA is the cream of the crop. if you can find a TODA header for around 600 you got an amazing bargain or a fake. PLM headers are a copy of these and are usually half decent.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    No the prices I've mentioned are for decent or 1/2 decent as the abo and frog panty burglar have pointed out.

Things like brands like Hytech Copies, PLM ETC ETC. These aren't top of the range like TODA, Mugen ETC ETC. Hence why I said $600. If you want Mugen, Toda ETC get ready to fork out 1.2k+ just on headers alone. Hence why I said the gearbox upgrade will let you push the car to its limits easier.

Since I know you aren't gonna buy an ECU to tune. There is no need for you to chase Toda, Mugen ETC. Unless you find a good deal 2nd hand.
    Your after the BWAAHHHHHH.

Get Injen Cold Air Intake - Try to find these 2nd hand there are heaps on sale in the Part Section of this forum. JDMyard sells them for $395 from memory.

PLM Headers + Hi Flo Cat + Xforce Twin loop + 2.5" Mendel Bent Catback.

This will amplify the cross over to vtec and give you fair gains for what you have spent and it will be legal some what.

You may be able to find all the parts your after in the parts for sale section. You never know what pops up.

If your from Syd, PM us. I can point you towards a shop that have been doing my exhausts for the last 4 cars i've owned.
    Last edited by amant02; 27-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.