Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 EP3R Idle problems :(

Hi guys,

I've got a 02 CTR and i've got a slight hunting problem which only occurs once the car is warmed up and usually after sitting on the highway or at a consistent RPM for more than 10 seconds. It sounds like a slight lope, similar to a car with upgraded cams however the bounce is only 100rpm if that. Also, i have a slight rev hang when shifting from a gear to neutral while rolling. The rev tends to hang at 1500rpm until i come to a complete stop then it settles slowly to 1000rpm. If i rev the car while warm to about 2000rpm and release, the revs tend to hang at 1400-1500rpm then drop down suddenly to the correct idle RPM.

Current mods are:
    Ported RBC manifold
    S90 70mm throttle body
    K-tuned adapter plate
    Injen CAI.

I have also cleaned the IACV and removed all carbon residue from both sides, and the valve itself. Furthermore, the car isn't throwing any codes as i checked with a scanner.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    My car did this. Tbh I don't know which of what I did worked.

I did most of it in one hit.

Changed Serpentine belt + idler pulley
    Cleaned IACV
    Changed new pod filter + hydro shield for the injen.
    Changed Spark Plugs
    Cleaned i have forgotten what these are called... the filter that sits behind the engine near the oil filter and the one south east of the power steering pump. VTEC Oil Screen and VTC oil screen? Idunno its been awhile.

Well as you can image since i came this far i went all out, flushed engine oil, gearbox oil, coolant, bled the clutch and brakes.

Also a wash and wax. Took a deserving 8 hours alone.

After this the car felt much better, but I wasn't satisfied. She still left tinnnnny but lumpy but nothing was registering in my revs. No more hang in revs or idle hunting.

Got the Actuator + Timing Chain + Toda Timing Chain Tensioner.
    Also have removed the hydro shield.

All of this together has fixed my issue. Since I did most of in 1 hit, idunno which worked.

Have been using INJEN in my previous cars for years without a hydro lock issue.
    Last edited by amant02; 30-08-2014 at 07:14 PM.

I spent some hours on it today

Cleaned IACV (again)
    New spark plugs
    injectors flushed
    replaced pod filter and cleaned hydro shield

The problem is still there however I also have a slight hesitation from 2500-3000rpm when flattened so i'm going to replace fuel filter too.

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    have you got a kpro?
    part time potato

Nah i'm running OEM ecu

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    70mm tb? port work and no tune?

Please donate to my charity fund and do the ice bucket challenge.

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoEP3R View Post
    Nah i'm running OEM ecu
    /thread
    part time potato

If it was a tune problem, it would have appeared the minute i installed the throttle body and manifold. Not 3 months and 10,000km after. So nah not /thread.

After manually adjusting the IACV (same as tps, loosen 2 screws and adjust positive or negative then tighten), the hunting issue has stopped and my idle is constantly 900rpm while rolling and even with aircon on. This is still untuned as well :P

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I still say get a tune man, you have already spend the expensive part of it.

Your missing out that extra your motor can pull.

Yeah i agree but i'm considering head work before i get a tune, works out cheaper in the long run

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    hey guys, just installed a ported RBC, s90 Tb and a ktuned fuel rail.

having the same problem. might be the TPS. anyone have any exact ideas on what it could be?

thanks