EP3 - Remove shift boot

Super noob coming through!

Problem.
    I can get the clips undone but the brick wall is chrome piece holding the rubber in place.

That little chrome ring in combination with a black plastic ring on the inside of the boot has me stuck in the mud. It will give a few millimetres but I can definitely not move it any more. Somehow the two pieces are connected, preventing the rubber boot from sliding over the shaft. I'm pretty sure there are two notches on the shaft holding it in this position. Pretty much, these pieces are trapping the notches, preventing the boot from moving.

Just trying to install these base bushings but without the centre trim removal, I can't do much.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by mryangtastic; 30-08-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

I'm a little confused by your description but I'm going to assume you mean you're unable to get the bottom part of the panel to come off.

This should help

http://youtu.be/fm-WR5QHjTw?t=47s

By the way, nice Razer Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDragon^^ View Post
    I'm a little confused by your description but I'm going to assume you mean you're unable to get the bottom part of the panel to come off.

This should help

http://youtu.be/fm-WR5QHjTw?t=47s

By the way, nice Razer Black Widow
    Nope. Not that bit. The trim is already free.
    Just that the rubber boot is gripping on to the shaft.
    Here's an illustration:

If needed, I'll make a video.

Thanks for complimenting. Got it a few months ago. Mechanical feels very different.
    Using Tapatalk

Are you able to get under it to get a clear look of what exactly is causing the jam?

I have folded the rubber on to itself and it's a black plastic ring. Which seems very attached to the chrome ring on the outside.

It's hard to explain. Just wandering, had anyone else had this problem? JDM 2005 CIVIC TYPE R EP3.

I'll get a video up ASAP.
    Using Tapatalk

EP3 SHIFT BOOT COLLAR ISSUE: http://youtu.be/wQ0m1UGfSTA
    Using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

No ideas?

Am I the only one who has a shift boot like this?
    Using Tapatalk

It should just slide off.

If you aren't able to get it off, you can always unscrew the boot and large silver plastic ring off from the trim. There are 3 screws holding it in, you can see them in your image above.

Might give you some more room to work with. Not 100% sure if it will help with your install though, as I'm not sure how much room you need to access those bushes.

The boot can also be detached from the large silver ring. There are rubber tabs that pull through the large silver ring. See attached image. You can ease them out backwards with a small flat screw driver.

The smaller silver ring also detaches from the boot. It unclips from the rubber. Be careful not to break the tabs when removing it!!! Again, see the attached image, the small black part sits on the inside/underside of the boot and clips into the small silver ring on top.

Only thing I can think of, of why it might be stuck. The rubber might be pinched against the shaft causing it to be stuck. But from looking at my boot and the black clip, there seems to be plenty of clearance around it.

I'd try easing it up with a bit more force? Failing that, I'm stumped as to why it may be stuck. Previous owner glue it in place? But it doesn't look like it from your video, as it does move up and down.

Awesome response. Detailed response helps! Your image looks right.
    Are there notches on the shaft?
    My thought was that the plastics could be enclosing some kind of notches.
    Using Tapatalk

Yes there are notches on the shaft. I think they are there to stop the boot from slipping too far down the shaft. See attached image, you can just make out the notches in my shifter cable install pic:

Maybe your black clip has been forced too far down and is actually stuck past/under the notches then?

Some of the google images don't have the notches though? Maybe they are the USDM ep's?

It looks like the black ring is clipped on to the chrome ring from two sides. So the plan is to wedge a little screw driver in from the side hoping to release these clips.
    Using Tapatalk