Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a DC5S that isn't perfect

Hey everyone,

I've had a 2003 DC5 luxury since I was on my P plates in 2007 then last year I bought a gen Honda Prelude Vti-R. Now I'm thinking of trading it all up for a 2005 DC5S that has 230,000kms on the clock.

I'm not really scared of the high kms I bought the DC5 with 207,000kms on the clock and the only thing I ever needed to change was the clutch, starter motor and a light bulb here and there.

I went to see the DC5S and it drove really nicely but when I pulled over to check if smoke was coming out of the exhaust whenever I would rev the car to about 4,000rpm there would be the tiniest bit of white/gray (not sure on colour) that was barely visible. I had my gf with me and that's how I was able to check closely, it didn't have a smell like fuel, oil or coolant and the day was fairly warm it was last Saturday here in Victoria 19 degrees. The car was at normal operating temp and had been running for at least 20 minutes.

Oil, coolant and all fluids looked good and peering down the engine cap showed a very healthy K series.

I like the car but is this a possible problem? Or is there anything I can check if I go back?

Thanks in advance Honda helpers!

Compression and leak down test it.

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    buy it! oh theres an idea tho, get the guys to run a compression test and that will tell you if theres anything serious i guess. it only takes a short while, they can do it while you wait

Sounds easier to ask them to do it but he might tell he's too busy and that I should do it myself.

Compression test seems easy enough with one of these: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...id=12556#Cross (Or any happy lenders in Melbourne? )

No idea how to go about the leak down test though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plpLZeM9ZbU

This makes me think a puff of white smoke is nothing @ 42 seconds into vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwJsOECGBU

Quote Originally Posted by doublerium View Post
    peering down the engine cap showed a very healthy K series.
    What are you looking for when you look down there to say its a very healthy K series?

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Probably staining
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Had a look on my DC5 and could barely see anything but in the DC5S you can see a lot more down there. Staining and also sludge build up leaves deposits wicked around there that doesn't go anywhere right? (mechanical skill/knowledge = 0.001)

Holding off on the car at the moment seems that it is 1cm too low to pass roadworthy. :/

Would that really work? It's at a stealership that is insisting I get a WRX instead.

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    have you taken a wrx for a spin that is in similar price range?

Quote Originally Posted by doublerium View Post
    Would that really work? It's at a stealership that is insisting I get a WRX instead.
    It might get you over the line, if it doesn't, find out where the lowest point is,and if you are lucky, it might be the front lip, just remove it to pass your test.
    Don't listen to the dealership, if you want the integra, get it.

Torell, I have only driven a 1994 and 1997 WRX. The 1994 was in mint condition and had a dyno run result the week before and pulled 110 kw atw if i remember correctly but it didn't inspire much confidence in corners. The 1997 WRX was...well it needed a lot of work :P

Rossirider, the stealership said the catalytic converter is the lowest point? And that needs to be fixed, they're getting a quote for putting back the original suspension which will raise the vehicle 3cm.

I have been quoted $90 for an independant vehicle checkup. I have never gotten one of these before, what things do I need to make sure the check does? Do they normally do a compression / leakdown test or is that something I have to make sure they will do?