Timing chain failure - possible engine damage?

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions (one of them is quite general, the other might count as model specific, apologies if this is in the wrong section) regarding timing chains.

The potentially model specific question is:
    According to Honda Service, my 2003 Cl9 accord euro has a failed timing chain that needs replacing. This happened while driving one day, and I attempted to restart the engine a couple of times not knowing what the issue was, before getting the car towed. My understanding is that on Honda engines there is the potential for damage to the valves when the timing chain fails, but does anyone know how likely this is? I.e. is it more likely to have sustained damage than not?

The general question is
    Is timing chain failure something that could have been predicted by the mechanics at Honda? The car has had every single service in its 230k history done at the same Honda Service Centre (every 6 months), and was serviced only 4 weeks ago (costing $400, of which $300 was labour). Should they have detected problems with the timing chain then, or at a previous service? My issue is that while I have no problem replacing the chain (because these failures do happen), I will be extremely angry if there is damage to the engine that could have been prevented if the servicing had been done properly - particularly given how much I am paying for each service these days.

Cheers,

A

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Hi, Im not a mechanic. Cannot tell you if it could damage anything else,

But I've been through timing a chain replacement myself on my DC5Rs k20.

One thing when you say fail, how did it fail?

Cos the only wear I can think of that will happen to these chains is stretching. I have not heard of one breaking.

To your general question, yes you can tell when the timming chain is on its way. It will make a werid sound, normally on very cold starts or during prolonged beatings, something like a small chainsaw behind the normal engine sound (metallic sound??). This is how I knew mine was starting to stretch at the 199,xxxKM mark.

Also, if its had been stretched enough. ECU should've put the engine light on. Cos the timing of the engine would be off and it also perform poorly.

Its normally the tensioner goes before the chain.
    Last edited by amant02; 22-09-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Well come to think of it, it can effect valves, cos thats what its timing rite?

Also, my advise. Just buy a new K24a3. You can have lower mileage one for dirt cheap.

Probs cheaper then replacing the timing chain.

Pretty sure Honda Dealer would want at-least 1.5k for timing chain job vs $2k for a lower mileage motor + installation.
    Last edited by amant02; 22-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Hey amant02,

Yep it was stretched (not broken), but to the point that the engine just wouldn't turn over on it's own anymore - I would start the ignition and it would turn over, making the same chainsaw sounds (but more like a giant diesel chainsaw haha) and as soon as I released the ignition it would stop.

I hadn't noticed any strange sounds before that though. I guess I'm more wondering whether it's something they should have noticed in their "Visual inspection of engine belts and components" or in the ECU diagnostics. There was no check engine light either :/

Yeah what I'm worried about right now is that there is damage to the valves, and how much that'll cost to get fixed. Right now all that honda has said is that the timing chain needs replacing and quoted $1500 for the job.

Cheers,

A

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Yeh man, just go wreckers and buy a lower KM k24a3. Yours has served you well enough by now.

UNLESS....

Inb4 full sick hectic K20/24 build in your euro!

PROTIP - Stop going to Honda for servicing.... your car is way out of warranty.
    Last edited by amant02; 22-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    call mobile mechanics and ask for leakdown test before you do anything.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I don't think this belt gets 'inspected', rather just replaced at 200k (if i recall correctly)

It's probably cheaper to get a new motor
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    This is so annoying to hear timing chain failure even after all that servicing some of them apprentices just tick n flick those log sheets without properly doing the work.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    You cannot determin when a timing chain will fail. The normal window for them to start becoming a problem is 220,000km

Timing chain replacememt is not cheap ($1500ish), but will be cheaper than paying a mechanic to replace the engine ($2500+)
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8