Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R

Coolant drain bolt on the block

Hi guys,

It's my first time posting here so please be gentle ><

'98 VTi-R

Basically I was going to do a coolant flush today. Drained my radiator and was going to drain what is left in the block, but I cannot get the bloody bolt undone.

Is it okay if I just flush it now with water a couple of times (by turning the engine on) before putting in the OEM coolant? Do I also fill the reservoir with water while doing this? Also unsure how I'm going to get the water out of the block while flushing if I can't get the drain bolt off.

Also, I only bought 5L of the coolant, and according to the service manual, the total capacity including the resrvoir is 6.7L for B18C1/5 engines. After flushing and putting in the coolant, is it okay if I put in the 5L then drive to get more coolant?

Sorry for sounding so noob and thanks for the help

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    5L is enough, you can flush with water but you will need to remove the thermostat.

Even if you dont flush it it'll be right.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    undo the block drain bolt. best way.

2 ways to go about it.

1 - drain radiator but not the block. you will have to take out the thermostat to flush the system like rim dufty said OR fill it with demineralised water and run it till the engine is hot so the thermostat opens. that way you will get coolant flow through the system. I would flush it a couple of times like this.

2 - just undo the bolt. use the right tools. the correct socket and an extended breaker bar with extension pole makes light work. try from underneath or from above. The type of exhaust manifold you're using will make an impact on difficulty of this bolt. By undoing this bolt. your 5 liters of coolant won't be enough but in saying so. removing the bolt is the best way to do it.

Your question is comprehensive so you will get a comprehensive answer.
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    as you've already started, I would fill it with water and go for a drive to get another 5ltr bottle.

get a replacement crush washer and heat resistant thread sealant for the block drain bolt.

Do not drive the vehicle with low coolant
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    /thread
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Vacuum cleaner
    https://www.facebook.com/ISOMedia.Photography

WP: 1:10.0
    Winton: 1:40.5
    Marulan: 0:48.7

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Wot m8
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by FongPei View Post
    Vacuum cleaner
    how abt u vacuum clean this for me

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    I told you not to disturb me when im cleaning my room!
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe