Looking at buying this 1990 4WS Prelude

Hey guys, I'm considering buying this 1990 Prelude as a first car. It appears to have been kept in great condition however it has done around 250,000 km's. This doesn't seem overly high for it's age to me(only around 10,000 km's/year), however I would love to get some opinions from people that actually know about the cars. Basically I would like to know what I should ask the owner before buying it, and whether this will be a reliable car and if it is likely to cost me much in the future?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/urrbr...4ws/1064583943

There it is, I am really hoping it could be the right car for me as I'm absolutely in love with it.

Cheers guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    even a brand new car can't be 100% reliable.

if you're overly concerned, go get an inspection done.

pm grifty, he does this.
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    I dont do inspections. cbauto is the forum troll.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    There are a few things you can check but first and foremost I would ask to see the service history. You want to make sure the timing belt has been recently changed (within the last 40,XXXkm) and that it has been regularly serviced.

If you don't know about cars I would have it inspected as it's worth the $150 or whatever someone would charge in radelaide.

If there is no rust around the windscreen or rear screen then check under the rear wheel wells and around the boot rubbers.

Mechanically you want to inspect, or direct someone to inspect the front and rear ball joints and bushings because 4ws cars can get worn easily if they are beaten on.

Interior looks good so really just make sure the transmission is in good condition and after the motor is compression tested make sure the car has always run coolant otherwise there may be some issues with motor corrosion.

Good luck, they are good fun cars to drive.
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    Great cars, i just happen to own one.

like others said, check if there are receipts for a major service inclusive of TIMING BELT as this service alone will cost you close enough to a grand. On the bright side, if you have to get this done atleast its a great time to change the clutch also.

Expect the car to feel as torquey as any current 2ltr honda (non type r) and to feel just about as quick.

Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch rear wheels turn. As they steer a little to the right, rear will steer same direction. As they steer further to the right, the rears will change direction and point slightly to the left. This is a decent indication that the four wheel steer system still works!

And do your usual checking for oil leaks on the persons driveway, AND under the car wherever it may be parked at the time. Look under the bonnet for large amounts of oil. Check fluid levels and oil level. oil should be full if not very near full, these cars don't tend to burn much oil. (in saying that, i service my car every 5,000km)

Goodluck!

Forgot to mention, i bought my car with 256,000km on it. Now has 367,000km.
    When i bought it i changed the timing belt and the clutch, then eventually it needed the alternator reconditioned / replaced which was about $250. The only cost incurred unrelated to the KM's traveled was me smashing the gearbox a few years ago :$ $800 later and we are all good. No issues.
    Last edited by Torell; 16-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, very helpful! He has just told me the timing belt was changed at 200,000kms, not under 40,000kms ago but I don't think it's too bad, and by the time it needs to be replaced again I will be able to afford it.