Plastic Bottle Sound on Driver Side

This problems seems very famous among FD 8th gen but I couldn't find any solution to this.

I have changed the top front strut, strut, sway bar link and sway bar bushing but the problem remains.

The sounds like an empty solid plastic bottle hit into something. Took Took Took. Only happens occasionally. But definitely on uphill bumpy road. I doubt this is the engine mounting but I could be wrong. I tested with handbrake engaged and try to shake the engine by pretending I am going to start driving. No sound.

The sounds coming from driver side near the fender.

Please help...... if someone ever experienced this problem before and what fix you have done previously.

Check your driveshaft? I have a knocking noise on my front left and I THINK its my driveshaft.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    check ball joints

What I have replaced so far:
    1. Top strut mount but not the cushion
    2. Strut to KYB

Still getting the noise:
    * on random bump on flat ( intermittent)...now getting more frequent.
    * more frequent on uphill

If ball joint or cv drive shaft? Do they make noise all the time? Or intermittently? Which one fits my description? Could be the strut cushion? Or external tie rod or internal? Or engine torque mount? Or the hydraulic one (driver side)? Or the steering rack? Which one fits my sound description and how often they knock? Anybody got same experience before? Please help.

Sway bar link and bushing are definitely not. Already test them by completely removed them and still getting noise

Please help please.....
    Last edited by riftan; 07-01-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_FD View Post
    Check your driveshaft? I have a knocking noise on my front left and I THINK its my driveshaft.
    Is yours always knock on every bump or sometime? Have you replaced it? What else you have replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    check ball joints
    Have you got any experience about this? I am so confused many people said different things. Not sure which one is the most possible one. But in my opionion the order now is:
    * Top and bottom front spring cushions
    * Ball joint
    * Inner tie road vs drive shaft
    * Bottom Right Hand engine mounting (hydraulic)
    * Top Right Hand engine mounting (torque arm)

Any other opinion please?????? would be good if you it is your own experience and solution

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    i one day did a hard shit from first to second, and got an intermittent ticking noise on the front left wheel as the boot around the ball joint split and the oil all came out, the ball joint was then sloppy.

jack up the car and shake the wheels grab them and shake em good, use a decent jack stand though.

i one day did a hard shit from first to second, and got an intermittent ticking noise on the front left wheel as the boot around the ball joint split and the oil all came out, the ball joint was then sloppy.

jack up the car and shake the wheels grab them and shake em good, use a decent jack stand though.
    The following i have checked:
    * ball joint - 6-12 o clock position and shake. No movement. Ball joint boot is ok
    * arm front bushing - no crack
    * ext tie road - no rattle from lateral shaking
    * int tie road - 3-9 oclock position shaking on tire. No movement
    * cv joint - full turn left and right and driving car slowly. No clicking
    * drive shaft - not tested
    * engine mount - tested by hand braking and try to move the car in first gear to shake the engine. No noise from engine mount. Although the gap is only 3-4mm

if it happens when going up a hill, your car may be detonating/knocking. I know when my first honda did this i thought there were rocks rattling in the intake! what kind of fuel are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by riftan View Post
    Is yours always knock on every bump or sometime? Have you replaced it? What else you have replaced?
    I hear mine knocking fairly loud over bumps. Really obvious on low speed.
    Anything I've done is change to Coilovers. Im almost certain its the passenger drive shaft

I one day did a hard shit from first to second, and got an intermittent ticking noise on the front left wheel as the boot around the ball joint split and the oil all came out, the ball joint was then sloppy.
    Hahaha! I never did a shit from first to second.
    Last edited by Honda_FD; 12-01-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    it was like constipation.... the ball joint split like diarrhea

FYI all,

I have found the issue by recording the noise and driving the same spot which I can confidently created the noise for 1.5 hours!

List what I have done prior that:
    * replaced the whole strut assembly from mounting, bearing, cushions and shocks. Tips: ensure the orientation and rotation of spring is correct when install. One of my mechanic install them at wrong way until I confirmed with Honda service manual.
    * check tie rod and ball joint by myself and with additional second opinion from 2 mechanics.
    * loosen and tighten the subframe as per Honda manual torque spec.
    * unmount and remount cowl to check any loose part.

None of these works!

After the recording, I accidentally found a TSB from US Honda version for 2006 civic engine mount defect. It mentions about cavitating hydraulic engine mount. Cavitation is bubble formation from liquid form. Then I check again the mount, no leaking and cracking at all. But I am convinced this is the issue proven the recording.

The mount is changed and the annoying noise which persist in the last 6 months is finally gone. I am still puzzled on how the knock noise can be produced when the mount is not damaged. The only explanation is what uncle Robert from Hanni performance diagnosed the mount is not broken yet but he reckons it is already showing signs of weakening than usual. Or the cavitating event happening to the mounting. Maybe my ear is just too sensitive with all the changes beyond normal.

Note:
    The gap I had with old mount is around 3-4mm
    Source of noise is upper front right of the car.
    Sounds like a plastic bottle with stone inside is shaked.
    Occured randomly over sharp bump. Can't be produced on long bumpy road. More frequent when goes uphill with bump or rippling road
    The car not vibrating bad prior replacement

The dog one mount is good. Checked.

This is information for all 8th gen civic owner. The hydraulic mount is number one common problem for our car.
    Last edited by riftan; 14-03-2015 at 09:53 PM.