EK RSB Clearance with ASR & OEM Muffler

Hi all,

Installed my ASR brace onto my EK1 (hatchback) but found there is very minimal room between the brace and the rear of the muffler to install the swaybar (EK9 22mm). Basically there is not enough space for the D-bracket to fit in between. Muffler is also OEM EK9.

*Rough measurements are 40mm gap between ASR and muffler.

*RSB D-bracket and bush height roughly 50mm

This is just an example pic of what I mean (not my car) mine probably has even less clearance

These reference pics give you an idea of how the muffler overlaps the RHS of the ASR brace (where the D-bracket sits) from the rear point of view

What options do I have here or how have people resolved this (EK hatch + ASR + OEM muffler).

Keeping in mind I do not want to cut the muffler or exhaust up. One thing I did notice is the exhaust hangers look a bit stretched, I believe the catback piping is being pulled towards the front of the car slightly (towards the collector on the headers).
    Not sure by how much or if its significant enough to provide more swaybar clearance...
    Last edited by dorikin; 06-01-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Also can someone measure up the length on OEM rear endlinks, between ball joints.

I have adjustable links and need a baseline length to start with. Thanks

I did a ghetto fix by hammering in my muffler around the area (gave 0 ducks), but in your instance I highly doubt you'd want to do that with EK9 muffler..
    D16Y4 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    I've ran f7 brace with ek9 sway and oem ek9 exhaust. It clears with mine. I just had to take the muffler off to install the d bracket, then put the muffler back on.

That muffler now belongs to another mate who has ASR brace + EK9 sway, that clears with him as well (still had to remove muffler to put on d bracket)
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Thanks fellas

Someone on another forum also mentioned hammering the muffler but yeh definitely not an option here..

PHO how much clearance did you have, just a rough figure from memory will do.. was it like a couple mm's or more like 1 finger gap?

I'm now leaning towards my exhaust system being the issue. When I bolted up the headers to cat I do remember now having to pull the cat towards the front..
    Now I have to figure out how to create some sort of spacer between these donut flanges to line up the exhaust properly...

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    I'll ask my mate to check when he can and let you know (Y)
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Maybe try to move the exhaust backwards more or check for any old sagged hangers. You should be able to get the clearance require although it will be tight.
    OEM parts whore

Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    Maybe try to move the exhaust backwards more or check for any old sagged hangers. You should be able to get the clearance require although it will be tight.
    I think if I can get the bracket to sit inside the outer rear lip of the muffler that should give me just enough clearance.
    albeit it'll be very tight and I don't like my chances of not having knocking noises over bumps and potholes..

the only way I can think of to get my exhaust to sit back more (without cutting anything) is to install a 3-hole flange as a spacer in between the cat and b-pipe. this is the only flat flange in the system as opposed to the other 'donut' style flanges

Anybody else run their swaybar with F7 LCA's? What endlink options are there. I have F7 heim joint endlinks that came with the rsb but pretty sure they're shot as they're known to fail after a few months. Don't wanna run heim joint but difficult to find any ball and socket type endlinks that are long enough to fit through F7 lcas