Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold Start Issue

Hey guys, ive got a problem with my DC2 vti-r that i haven't been able to solve.

Starting 6 months or so ago, my car took longer to start when it had been sitting overnight. This got progressively worse, so i changed my fuel filter ( which didn't fix it) then the spark plugs, which seemed to improve the issue.

A month or so later, the issue came back, and has been getting worse since then. When its been sitting over night, the car will crank for a fairly long time, fire once or twice then die. When i crank it again, it will start but run on two cylinders for about 5 or so seconds before being perfectly fine after that. If i then kill it, and start it again it starts perfectly fine.

I have been cautious to start changing parts without knowing exactly what the issue is. My fuel is priming, and i have checked for spark however it may be an intermittent spark issue so i haven't completely ruled this out.

I have been having some coolant issues recently, which i put down to a leaking top hose housing however again this may be another separate issue, given i read a thread saying that a leaking head gasket can let water pool on the cylinders and cause bad starts. If this was the case would i then definitely have a smokey exhaust/milky coolant?

Where should i start? there are no CEL codes and the car runs great once it starts.

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Have you tried changing the plugs?

My car used to run for a week then foul it's plugs making it unable to start for some reason...
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    check plug condition/post up pics, they'll give you good indication as to whats going on
    SSpamily

hehe

I did change them and it did seem to fix it, for a while anyway.

Will take out plugs and post pics

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by caljones View Post
    I did change them and it did seem to fix it, for a while anyway.

Will take out plugs and post pics
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Let the car sit overnight and then try cracking the fuel line at the fuel filter, pressurised fuel should spray out, if it does not then the fuel pump or FPR is not holding the pressure in the line so when you first try to start her up you have to wait for the rail to pressurise before the injectors meter correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    Let the car sit overnight and then try cracking the fuel line at the fuel filter, pressurised fuel should spray out, if it does not then the fuel pump or FPR is not holding the pressure in the line so when you first try to start her up you have to wait for the rail to pressurise before the injectors meter correctly.
    i havent tried this yet, however i have tried letting it prime a few times before firing it. This doesnt make a difference. Would this rule out the same issue?

However i have found that if i crank it once at WOT, stop, then crank it again it fires up so i am thinking it has to do with the iacv or something.

Here are the plugs-

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Someone's got a leaky tube seal
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post

Do they ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    Do they ?
    yeah my tube is a little leaky

nomsayin

Quote Originally Posted by caljones View Post
    Hey guys, ive got a problem with my DC2 vti-r that i haven't been able to solve.

Starting 6 months or so ago, my car took longer to start when it had been sitting overnight. This got progressively worse, so i changed my fuel filter ( which didn't fix it) then the spark plugs, which seemed to improve the issue.

A month or so later, the issue came back, and has been getting worse since then. When its been sitting over night, the car will crank for a fairly long time, fire once or twice then die. When i crank it again, it will start but run on two cylinders for about 5 or so seconds before being perfectly fine after that. If i then kill it, and start it again it starts perfectly fine.

I have been cautious to start changing parts without knowing exactly what the issue is. My fuel is priming, and i have checked for spark however it may be an intermittent spark issue so i haven't completely ruled this out.

I have been having some coolant issues recently, which i put down to a leaking top hose housing however again this may be another separate issue, given i read a thread saying that a leaking head gasket can let water pool on the cylinders and cause bad starts. If this was the case would i then definitely have a smokey exhaust/milky coolant?

Where should i start? there are no CEL codes and the car runs great once it starts.

Thanks!
    happened to me when the seasons were changing over, ended up being my dizzy cap which i sanded down the corrosion on the terminals, which i had to start on WOT since i had flooded the engine with fuel a bit from it running on 1 or 2 cylinders
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Dizzy cap could be issue.. also what about main relay? Hondas are known for having spark, fuel pressure and even with new plugs and leads won't start when atmospheric temperature (not car) is extremely hot or cold...

Good luck.
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details