Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 08, sport

What is the starter motor for 08 Civic Sport, 2.0L i-vtec DOHC engine?

Hi everyone,

I am from Victoria and I've got a 08 civic sport with 2.0L i-vtec DOHC engine. I'm looking to replace the starter motor.

My question is, does any one know what is the correct starter motor for this car? Or how can I find out?

Do I have to get the stock starter motor, or are there any other starter motor which will also work just fine?

I was trying to get a starter motor from Honda dealer, and they are saying it is going to cost $1420, imported from Japan. So I am trying to find an alternate source, will appreciate if you guys can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

ALSO, IT IS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
    Last edited by cli37; 19-01-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by cli37 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am from Victoria and I've got a 08 civic sport with 2.0L i-vtec DOHC engine. I'm looking to replace the starter motor.

My question is, does any one know what is the correct starter motor for this car? Or how can I find out?

Do I have to get the stock starter motor, or are there any other starter motor which will also work just fine?

I was trying to get a starter motor from Honda dealer, and they are saying it is going to cost $1420, imported from Japan. So I am trying to find an alternate source, will appreciate if you guys can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
    If you're in Victoria there will be plenty of wreckers around with starter motors. These aren't rare cars so you shouldn't have too much hassle
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 08, sport
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    If you're in Victoria there will be plenty of wreckers around with starter motors. These aren't rare cars so you shouldn't have too much hassle
    Yea, I'm planning to check out Hondworld in Clayton. But I'd prefer to get my hands on a brand new one if possible. Been checking on ebay, but all I could find are starter motor for 1.8L manual. Are they even the same?

Check some of the online honda dealers in usa. Most of the sites have a good parts indexing system to make it easier to source the right part. Even with freight you will save heaps. That's where I buy all of my oem stuff.

Another cheaper option is to get it rebuilt. There isn't a lot to dc motors. We keep rebuilding them for up to 45 years on the heavy mining gear (rebuilds on them cost up to $30k a pop and it still makes good economic sense to rebuild almost forever.)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 08, sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    Check some of the online honda dealers in usa. Most of the sites have a good parts indexing system to make it easier to source the right part. Even with freight you will save heaps. That's where I buy all of my oem stuff.
    That's a great idea. Is there any US supplier you would recommend? Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I recommend trying amayama.com

Great source to order oem parts (you'll need the part number) and both the part price and shipping cost is very reasonable
    DC5R

Quote Originally Posted by cli37 View Post
    That's a great idea. Is there any US supplier you would recommend? Thanks!
    Sorry I missed this one!

I have used http://www.hondapartsnow.com/ and http://www.hondapartsdirect.com and both have been good. For some reason, I couldn't use my credit card to pay for the items, and shipping to Australia was fairly pricey. However, I used http://www.comgateway.com who are a freight forwarding service. Essentially you get a USA address you can get parts mailed to, then they forward the stuff to you. They also have a "buy it for me" option where they will puirchase the parts and sendto you. They charge 10% of the purchase price for this service (plus shipping). There are also heaps of other freight forwarding companies out there, so shop around.

Edit:
    Here's a starter motor off a 2 litre 2008 Civic (manual trans). Can't guarantee that this is the right part for your car though, as they have different designations for their models over there. However, it's only $258USD, so considerably cheaper than locally. Also, it will probably cost around $40-50 to freight it here (maybe less).

If you can get the part number off your local dealer, or off the starter itself, you can do a search on that part number and confirm the correct starter for your car.

Edit 2:
    I've found that OEM Honda stuff is very good quality, so I don't buy non genuine for anything if I can avoid it.
    Last edited by Hondarally; 22-01-2015 at 03:13 PM.