Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R

Post Genuine questions in regards to purchasing a new car.

Hey guys,

This is my first post, i have read many of the threads on this forum to aid in my research of honda's.

I have come to a bit of a dead end.

I sold my car and need another one, i have decided to go with honda because i never pay people to work on my cars because i prefer to do everything myself. I am impressed by the K series motors being NA and putting out some seriously impressive power figures compared to other higher displacement engines.

Basically i cant decide between a DC5R (AUDM version with k20a2), EP3r, FN2r, DC2r and lastly the odd cl9.

The information that i have been able to find after countless hours of research is that the k20 series of engines are considered the 'real' performance series form honda. The ep3r has the k20a (jdm) which puts out more power than the rest. The DC2r doesnt have a K series engine but i am still interested in them due to reading in countless forums that they provide a very connected driving experience.

I couldnt care less about luxury, i look at driving feedback, mechanical reliability and the car having a mod friendly setup.

Most will say if you want power and mods go turbo, but NO, i dont want to go turbo. I prefer to get as much power as i can with NA, spending more money in the process but i am happy spending that on something i in the end will be very proud of.

I have driven the FN2r which was quick to a certain extent, but felt shaded from a connected driving experience. The Ep3r was basically like a go-kart with a lot of power even at stock, the dc5r was also very precise and gave good feedback with a bit less power. The cl9 was not great on power but i see a lot of potential(and they sexiii). The only car i havnt driven is the dc2r.

The cl9 with the audm K24a3 LEV seems to be weighted towards an economical drive, im not sure what i would have to do to unlock the power of the extra .4l of displacement while removing the emission reducing components and replacing them.

This shouldnt be seen as another which is better thread, i am simply asking opinions based on experience and knowledge as to which of these cars will be mod friendly, quick, great driving feedback and also looks good(i dont like the rice look).

Thanks,
    Ian

(PS: its bloody hard to find a clean dc5r under 15k...)
    Last edited by Lemon; 18-02-2015 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added something

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    ep3r has k20a2, which is the european engine here in aust. Less powerful than the k20a. Same engine in the dc5r audm apparently.
    fn2r's audm version is awful. Torsion rear end. If you want good handling, dump that right at the bottom of the list. It's also slower than the ep3r, despite having more power iirc.
    dc2r is a very good car. Amazing handling, good amount of power. Solid engine.
    cl9 is an odd mix to the group.

Ok, all are good choices in regards to driving feedback (bar the fn2) and reliability as far as I'm aware. And all are good for mods.

Now, out of those choices, the ep3r and dc2r come at the very top for me. Best platforms. Handle the best out of the lot, have the most go (dc2r isn't heaps, but it's still pretty bloody fun).
    Now, you can build any of the above cars to be all motor power houses. Only downside is that all motor na costs a lot of money to get good power, if you want that. Which is why lots of people go turbo. Cheap power.

One other option I'd throw into the spanner would be something like a vtir or type r integra (dc2) with a k20 in it. It'll cost a lot, but in the end, it'll have a lot more power. Another option is h2b. Cheaper, another good option. Parts for h22's aren't in as good supply as the k, and they aren't as good as a k, but, they still make some pretty decent power. But, you're more likely to find an h22a vtir with a fair few good mods around the cost of a type r.

But yeah, personally, I'd choose either a dc2 vtir with some work done, a dc2r, or an ep3r. dc5r following that, and cl9 after that (not very fast, engine isn't anywhere near as good as the k20. Heavy, very boaty. Good for daily duties and show work, can give a bit of power for fun, but not the best at handling.)

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    I'd go with the cl9
    Noone suspects a euro heheh
    Especially that torque up high
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    If you like the euro chassis the most then get one...

Then, build a frankenstein motor (see vvvtec's dc2 build thread), get the right transmission ratios and bob's your uncle
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    ep3r has k20a2, which is the european engine here in aust. Less powerful than the k20a. Same engine in the dc5r audm apparently.
    fn2r's audm version is awful. Torsion rear end. If you want good handling, dump that right at the bottom of the list. It's also slower than the ep3r, despite having more power iirc.
    dc2r is a very good car. Amazing handling, good amount of power. Solid engine.
    cl9 is an odd mix to the group.

Ok, all are good choices in regards to driving feedback (bar the fn2) and reliability as far as I'm aware. And all are good for mods.

Now, out of those choices, the ep3r and dc2r come at the very top for me. Best platforms. Handle the best out of the lot, have the most go (dc2r isn't heaps, but it's still pretty bloody fun).
    Now, you can build any of the above cars to be all motor power houses. Only downside is that all motor na costs a lot of money to get good power, if you want that. Which is why lots of people go turbo. Cheap power.

One other option I'd throw into the spanner would be something like a vtir or type r integra (dc2) with a k20 in it. It'll cost a lot, but in the end, it'll have a lot more power. Another option is h2b. Cheaper, another good option. Parts for h22's aren't in as good supply as the k, and they aren't as good as a k, but, they still make some pretty decent power. But, you're more likely to find an h22a vtir with a fair few good mods around the cost of a type r.

But yeah, personally, I'd choose either a dc2 vtir with some work done, a dc2r, or an ep3r. dc5r following that, and cl9 after that (not very fast, engine isn't anywhere near as good as the k20. Heavy, very boaty. Good for daily duties and show work, can give a bit of power for fun, but not the best at handling.)
    jdm ep3r has the proper k20a

op, you want a k series, you want a dc2r

see where im going with this hehe
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    jdm ep3r has the proper k20a

op, you want a k series, you want a dc2r

see where im going with this hehe
    I know jdm does, thus why I said here in aus we have the euro version

But yes, k series dc2 pls

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    i like lemons
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    Hey guys thanks for the input, i have decided to go with a cl9 regardless of how boaty it is. I decided to do this because it has a lot more potential than the other options. The higher displacement will allow me to get more power, i can mod the driveline and suspension to get rid of the slop and get closer to what i am looking for.

This should be fun, and its a win win because its another project car to spend time on.

Thanks,
    Ian.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    its got the least potential of all the others
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    Not from the research i have done. A stock cl9 up against a dc5r stock ends with the cl9 winning. Thats stock, intake, exhaust, supercharger, etc..

I could upgrade the heads to a type r head, get rid of the lev components. In my eyes this car will probably cost more and use more time, but itll be madd by then end.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    fuk yh sounds ballin

hope u can rip on kunts n mak dem wish dey didt buy holden
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    cl9 shouldn't be faster than a dc5r. Especially considering it has like 20hp less. and only 24ftpound of torque. the cl9 also weighs at least 200kg more, and has longer gears iirc.

Realistically, the 24 isn't as good as the 20a, and it's box isn't as good. But, you can make a 24/20 frank, using a type r box, and you might be able to have a bit of fun. You'll struggle to get it to handle anywhere near as well as the others