Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Noobie. Mini with a Vtec JDM B16A

Hi all,

My name is Steve (aka Dutchy) and have a Supercharged mini. (Dutchysmini.com) I have just bought a Honda B16A Vtec to retrofit into my mini (massive job but I am up for the challenge) Quite common in the US. Check out superfastminis.com

I mainly joined to learn more about the JDM B16A engines and what mods people are doing in Aus as I am always looking for ideas to upgrade. This is my toy car so there is always a project on the go of some sort. with more than 14 years experience in automotive parts I hope I can also add some useful info to relevant posts along the way.

Cheers,
    Dutchy

try http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/ for a start
    most minis with engine conversions come from Europe / UK.

anything else just ask - I might know a thing or two ;0)

Thanks Bennjamin. I am all over that site and other mini Vtec sites however as they are overseas there aren't many contacts or info on Australian Honda's. I am going to need to source info and parts from Aus civics so thought it would be good to get on board here.

You should look up a guy named peter dutton.He has a b16a Leyland clubman and is in melb.
    I have a couple of minis aswell, good luck with the. Swap

Is he on this forum or do you know how I can contact him?
    Google only some MP in QLD.
    He must be using another name for his profiles.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    try http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/ for a start
    most minis with engine conversions come from Europe / UK.

anything else just ask - I might know a thing or two ;0)
    so keen to see ur build thread m9
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Mini + Honda = Awesome

Keen 4 build
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

I'm keen too however currently have a badly broken leg so there will be a delay of a few months before I start.
    I will probably run two build threads. 1 in a mini specific forum for the feedback of other mini enthusiasts and 1 here for the Honda gurus to assist with the engine, Ecu and wiring related gear. That way I get the best result possible.

Standby to standby.....

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy1978 View Post
    I'm keen too however currently have a badly broken leg so there will be a delay of a few months before I start.
    I will probably run two build threads. 1 in a mini specific forum for the feedback of other mini enthusiasts and 1 here for the Honda gurus to assist with the engine, Ecu and wiring related gear. That way I get the best result possible.

Standby to standby.....
    man do the full write up ear not just the honda parts
    shieeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttt hurry
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Sorry I probably worded that wrong. Both threads will be identical except for the individual responses.
    It will be all up here too ��

Noobie. Mini with a Vtec JDM B16A

It is now time. I have decided to move forward with a build thread. If there is any Honda info that I have missed or should be mindful of then don't hesitate to chime in.

Here we go.

My current mini engine details are below and can be found on http://www.dutchysmini.com/supercharging.html :

88 Rover mini
    1275 Manual - Standard bottom end
    Ported head, 35mm inlet valves
    Ceramic coated Exhaust manifold
    Eaton M45 Supercharger
    Custom made inlet manifold
    3 x 646cc Siemens injectors
    2 core radiator
    new clutch & seal
    Autronic SM3 ECU (SM4 firmware)

The Honda:
    I purchased a JDM B16A complete with manifolds, 5spd transmission, ECU, engine wiring, gear linkages, driveshafts & dash cluster.

I am aiming to build my own frame to fit the B16A into my round nose without extending or modifying the front.
    Tough ask from what people on the mini forums are saying. Mainly due to the Australian requirements for engineering and registration
    I have discussed with my engineer who has given me all the relevant info to get it passed and registered.

IN the mean time, a few goodies have been purchased.

Wilwood Pedal kit from Minitec
    Minisport 4 piston calipers & 8.4" vented and slotted front discs
    Stainless exhaust manifold
    New Radiator & hoses
    Second hand rocker cover - cleaned and blasted ready for red wrinkle paint

I was considering buying a half cut and working with that for the subframe build but after much thought i think it will be better to use my body and strip my engine out.
    Before I do I was was thinking of seeing what interest is out there for my complete engine with supercharger and ECU. You could pretty much drop it in, wired it in and away you go.

Any ideas on what it would be worth? if anyone is interested then PM me to discuss. l want to leave it in the vehicle for serious buyers to test drive before pulling it out. Based in Melbourne VIC.

Cheers,
    Dutchy

It will be a slow project but I will keep you all updated.
    Last edited by Dutchy1978; 19-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.

subscribed