Member Array
    Car:
    B16 EK1/EK1/KA9

Need someone to clarify something regarding EK1s / D16Y4s OBD and Engine Loom

Hey guys and girls,

Usually I just lurk here and don't ask anything as all the info is pretty much here already.

However, after hours and hours of trawling threads over a looooong period of time now, I've not found any definitive answers to this one question.

This might end up really long, so apologies as I tend to dribble crap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so first off a bit of back story, I have two EK1's, one which is a pre facelift GLI daily which I have done a B16A2 swap into and another which is a facelift CXI, which I plan to do a B16/18 Frankenstein or B20V swap into as a track car.

Now here's my issue, when I did the B16 swap into the pre facelift, I again looked for hours trying to find what the D16Y4 of that years OBD standard actually was, some said OBD2A, some said some weird standard between OBD2A and OBD1.

I finally just chanced that it was OBD2A, bought an OBD2A engine and loom and it all went in beautifully, plug and play, no issues.

Now, I'm getting ready to do the swap on the facelift EK and again, I'm having trouble figuring out what this cars OBD standard actually is.

I know lots of people will just immediately jump out and say "Facelift EK's are OBD2B" and yes, while all the information posted on American sites will state that, I'm not sure I believe it to be the case for a few reasons.

Mainly after comparing the looms, ecu's and many of the connectors which would usually be of help to determine the OBD, I found that between both my pre facelift and facelift they in fact share identical looms with only very minor differences, things such as 4 wire O2 sensor as opposed to 1 wire on the pre facelift.

Other reasoning being that I know for a fact that many AUDM models were slow to receive OBD2B, as I have a 2001 Accord, 2000 Legend and 2000 EK1 none of which are OBD2B nor sport an OBD2B connector. However by American rationale, by 2000, all should have.

So is it in fact the case, that all EK1 D16Y4's are this weird middle OBD standard? Both pre facelift and facelift?
    And if that is the case, should that then mean that due to the looms being 98% identical, OBD2A is the correct swap loom to use? Considering I have used an OBD2A loom in the pre facelift?

TL;DR
    Are all EK1 D16Y4's actually some weird OBD standard, can I use an OBD2A b series loom on a facelift EK1 considering the D16 loom is essentially identical to my old pre facelift D16 loom.

Shit that was longer than I wanted.

Hopefully it made some sense.

Cheers. <3
    Last edited by D0nnie Dark0; 06-04-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Early morning posting.

yes all EK1 are same (D16Y4) doesnt matter if prefacelift or facelift - like you said only difference is 4 wire O2 sensor
    just do the same thing you did with the prefacelift and get an EK4 b-series loom

Member Array
    Car:
    B16 EK1/EK1/KA9
    Thanks for the reply dorikin, so if that is the case, can I then use either an OBD2A OR OBD2B loom? As it doesn't make a difference? Or can you only use an OBD2A loom with an EK1.

Cheers.

only OBD2a

OBD2b has "Connector A" integrated to the cabin/dash loom

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Do not use an OBDIIB loom. You should be able to do the same on the EK1 as you did on the B16A conversion.

Do not go by info from US sites for AU cars.

Member Array
    Car:
    B16 EK1/EK1/KA9
    Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated.

Yeah I tend to take anything I read on the American sites with a grain of salt ECU-MAN, as I've found most of the information doesn't apply to our cars, things such as the rear T-Brackets needing changing, where in actuality our D16 ones are correct already aha.

not sure what you're smoking but the D-series T-bracket will not fit B-series gearbox

its common fact you need EK4/EM1/EK9 T-bracket for b-series swap into EK

Member Array
    Car:
    B16 EK1/EK1/KA9
    Well that's what I thought and had been told too!

However, when I did the B swap in the pre facelift, we in fact accidentally dropped the motor in with D16 one and it fit perfect!
    But we took it out anyway to double check it was the right one, and as it turned out both T brackets were identical?

So what would that mean? We measured the bolt holes etc and all was the same?

But everything I'd read said otherwise. How is it even possible?

EDIT: I just googled a bit to see the differences, but the one we installed it with the first time certainly wasn't the D16 one now that I see it, I had a few T brackets around when we put it in, but thought all were D series, my bad!
    Last edited by D0nnie Dark0; 06-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.