Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic

increasing compression in d16y4?

Ok, so, I've decided I'm going to build my y4 a little bit.
    I know it's not worth it, I know I have another car to build. That needs lots of money to progress, this'll be cheap in the short run. blah blah.

Anyway, planning on chucking some higher comp pistons in (y8, or nippon p29. which'd bump it up to like 11:1~)
    Only question I have is; if I get pistons that are high comp ones to suit a 16v head... Will my 8v head crack the sads? By which I mean, how likely is it that the valves would hit the bit between the two valve grind bits, and bend?

The other plan is to port and polish the head, and grind the cam. Would chucking y8 springs and retainers in (did hear they are a bit strongker) be worth it? Or would the y4 ones do the job as well?

Would upgrade rods to zc or y8 rods if need be. Depends how pansy the y4 ones are. Although, it seems the y4 ones handle boost pretty well, so in theory they should be fine.

Cpu would just be a hondata slapped on. Should be easy enough.

Intake maybe y8.

Ideas?

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    just weld another y8 so now you got y16 which will suit your 16v head
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    stick bluetak in any holes you see around the engine so its air tight
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    stick bluetak in any holes you see around the engine so its air tight
    That's a lot of bluetak

My advice, don't get side tracked (wish I listened to my own advice)

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    That's a lot of bluetak
    the compression ratio you will get out of it will be well worth it
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    what happened to buying my b18? still waiting
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by hondapop View Post
    My advice, don't get side tracked (wish I listened to my own advice)
    It's too late, the damage is done.

Also won't have the funds to complete the green civic for a little while. Unless I get this apparent grant that happens. In which case, will drop it in, and then I can play around with it. Otherwise, throwing small amounts of money on the daily works. The engine is slowly wearing out as is, anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Turns out the y4 is 16v as well. Something i should have not just assumed it was 8v before asking. Hah.

Sounds like it'll work piston wise

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    Do not use p29 pistons on a y4 or y8 head they have a totslly different head design compared to d16y1s. The pistons that are the best for the d16y heads are p06 or pg6 (ccant remember off the top of my head). If u decide to use p29 pistons make sure u buy npr(nippon racing) p29s as they have been redesigned to allow my clearance for the valves while still achieving a zero deck height. im acutally in the process of builing a 13ish comp d16 so if you need more info shoot me a pm

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Ah ok. So, don't go p29 for the y4 then?
    Look for something designed for a d16y?

also; Currently talking to a friend who appears to be an engineer... And we're discussing intake manifold/ plenum uses... Stock y4 plenum appears to be pretty shit tier. What'd be a good upgrade from that? y8 doesn't look much different

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    The best oem im is the y8, though I wouldnt use it I bought the edelbrock im amazing piece of kit. Dont bother with the skunk2 or blox ones they are just b series im's with d series flanges