Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1

Honda Beat PP1 discussion thread

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling on a Honda Beat discussion thread as unfortunately there wasn't really one on OzHonda.

Please feel free to contribute with any info, links, photos or questions regarding Honda's little pocket rocket. Due to the age of these models and the nature of the high-revving 656cc 3-cylinder engine, they do need some love by this point in their life. Parts can be quite difficult to get a hold of and unfortunately aren't exactly cheap by the time you import them from Japan etc so if anyone has some knowledge and experience in importing bits, looking up part numbers, or perhaps has some spare bits laying around feel free to add.

I'm very interested to know how many Beats there actually are in Australia so If you own one, or know of one, let us know as I'd love to get an approximate figure on the numbers.

I can think of at least 3 (and a 4th I saw a few years back) here in Adelaide, and certainly a few more interstate.

I'll update this thread shortly with some technical info, pics and links.

Here's mine...

It's a '95 Verion-Z which to my knowledge is pretty well the same with only real differences being the factory LSD, alloy wheels & spoiler as standard, and all-black cluster.

I picked this up towards the end of 2013 in complete factory condition.

A parts order was made within days of picking it up. Some minor additions to the interior were a Nardi steering wheel, OEM DC2R gear knob and boot, Carbing roll bar (purely cosmetic as I don't think it would do jack in case of an actual rollover), Pioneer deck (factory player is pretty much shagged). I'll be looking at picking up a Recaro SPG as I currently already own one and I think the black and grey will suit the Beat's interior perfectly, although with the current suspension setup my back gets pretty sore as is, on cushiony factory seats. The zebra seats have actually kinda grown on me.

The thing looked pretty crap on stock "phone dial" wheels, so a set of staggered TE37's was ordered from YJ as well as a some Trust PS-Compact coils. Made a world of difference with the look of the car and more importantly handling. Oh and the tyres were 1000x better than the crap that came on it. Sizes are 14x6" +38 & 15x6.5" +36 with 165's all round.

Stock exhaust was rattling and falling apart so had a custom one made up. Sounds tops with little backfire pops on the downshift. Also, made a custom airbox with HKS filter to open up those ITB's a bit.

My 2 projects.

Recently picked up a set of Mugen NR10's as an alternative set... got a good deal on them so couldn't resist. I think they suit the car nicely. They are in pretty good knick but will look at doing a full resto on them to really get them sparkling. Also looking at picking up a set of CF48's.

I quite like the factory body of the PP1 and don't want to fiddle with it too much due to the rarity of the thing so as far as bodywork goes will just keep it to a US Racing front lip and Backyard Special rear wing (duckbill). Currently looking at fitting up 242mm EG brakes up front as the stock ones are pretty poor. Will update you on how that goes.

If you're a Beat owner in Aus, please feel free to add some pics and info on yours.

Cheers,
    Pav
    Last edited by Tegzieboi_BAR; 12-02-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    How did you go fitting up the brakes?

looking for options for mine now.

I was planning to hit up wildwood to make me a kit for it.
    cant imagine how am I going to stop the car with the K20 at the back lol.
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    I've been side tracked with my other EG project so haven't tried yet. Seems like the Wilwood kit designed for rear of EG/DC2 will be an easy bolt on with minor (if any) mods. Would be idea to run this F & R. Likely to need 15" wheels for clearance though as it uses a 280mm disk, I'm keen to stick to 14's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake_kit_140-11979-DR-lg_zpsdci5x3jq.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	28082
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    Lol story of my project sounds exactly like urs...

Civic / beat
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5b18c/SB1/PP1
    SA HONDA BEAT + EG Reporting in.

Picked up Honda beat last year - had a timing issue and bits and pieces missing
    Other than that it drove well .. even better after the timing was fixed.

Beat PP100 - 1991 Mid mount engine RWD

Name:	JPEGS.jpg 
Views:	1965 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	28131

Rims/tyres/suspension + front bushing changes as well as replacing missing trim.

Name:	DSC_0374-2.jpg 
Views:	1489 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	28125

Seat covers + some interior CF bits n pieces for final touches.
    Waiting on new muffler to be installed.

Name:	DSC_1446 copy2.jpg 
Views:	2099 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	28126

Name:	DSC_1471 copy2.jpg 
Views:	1182 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	28127

Name:	DSC_14553.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	28129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_14542.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	28128

Name:	Edits12.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	28130

Awesome car to drive through the hills especially on a nice day
    Great engine sound @ high revs (red line 9-10k)
    Power is not there with the stock engine but car is light weight and handles well

Have a Daily EG b18c. Need to change suspension before hitting the track.

Name:	DSC_05142.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	28132

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Beat
    Im in Sydney and own 3 Beats although one was involved in a hit and run and written off. See my web site www.hondabeat.com.au I can post more information if you are interested, I have information about brakes, suspension etc. Have a look here http://hondabeat.com.au/Parts/ it is a work in progress so any feedback would be good.

Name:	TwoBeats.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	28494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreeBeats.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	28495
    Last edited by Beat; 06-07-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Im in Sydney and own 3 Beats although one was involved in a hit and run and written off. See my web site www.hondabeat.com.au I can post more information if you are interested, I have information about brakes, suspension etc. Have a look here http://hondabeat.com.au/Parts/ it is a work in progress so any feedback would be good.

Name:	TwoBeats.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	28494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreeBeats.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	28495
    Hey mate, I've actually used ur site a couple of times to track down some part numbers.

I decided to undergo a minor engine rebuild. Leaks and smoke were giving me the sh#ts. Waiting on a couple of parts but should all hopefully be done mid Jan... Still a bit of summer driving left in it hopefully.

Never got around to trying the EG brakes yet. I picked up a pretty cheap set of aftermarket pads for it so will see if there's an improvement on the stock (or at least I think they're stock) pads which are pretty average. See how I go but will def give the EG brakes a go, more for heat dispersion rather than actual stopping power. Can't imagine those little solid disks can take a solid hills outing too well.

Bubbz, I saw ur Beat a couple of weeks ago. I like the kit was actually the same one I was planning to get before I decided to stick with a more stocky look. Car looks great too! Champ white?
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5b18c/SB1/PP1
    s2k frost white.

Should catch up sometime would like to know how you go with your engine rebuild.
    I have a bit of a leak I need to get fixed soon as well hopefully just a gasket that needs replacing.

Wouldnt mind picking your brain re EG build s well lol.. mine is offroad atm due to a front end prang (have to replace radiator support).
    So looking to updgrade suspension and fine tune engine while im at it and swap over to S80 LSD 4.7 gear box.

WHERE CAN I BUY A YELLOW HONDA BEAT!! I am going crazy online in Aus looking for one and I can't find anything anywhere!!
    If anyone knows of one for sale or of any Honda beats for sale please let me know!!
    P.S only from a seller who is reasonable and doesn't over exaggerate the price!

I love those mugen wheels.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Quote Originally Posted by IWANTAHONDABEAT View Post
    WHERE CAN I BUY A YELLOW HONDA BEAT!! I am going crazy online in Aus looking for one and I can't find anything anywhere!!
    If anyone knows of one for sale or of any Honda beats for sale please let me know!!
    P.S only from a seller who is reasonable and doesn't over exaggerate the price!
    There's a couple floating around... Was an absolute minter in yellow for sale a few years back when I got mine. Guy was asking around 6K but this thing was immaculate and really low mileage. Your best bet is to snap up whatever comes up and respray. Lucky to get 1 or 2 Beats for sale in Aus a year (from what I have seen).
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Progress on mine has been very slow... Parts from Japan, especially over Xmas and NY take a LONG bloody time! Waiting on a couple more seals and engine bits and she'll be going in for her refresh. Also ordered up a lip and BYS ducktail wing so will hopefully have that fitted up before the good weather ends...

Bubbz you taking your Beat to All Japan Day?
    Getting there...