Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury

1996 GSi thermostat difference

Hi folks, I have recently acquired the above car from my Honda enthusiast dad. Its a bog stock vehicle with a 5 speed and B18B2 motor. Upon driving it around for a few days I noticed it took a while to warm up and ran too cool on the gauge.

I changed the coolant and replaced the thermostat. The new aftermarket gauge says 82 degrees and the old original unit says 78 degrees.

The gauge now sits just under half and doesn't budge on the highway or in peak hour so I am assuming the cooling system is ok but does the 4 degree difference have any negative effect? I notice the cooling fans kick in after a short time stopped at lights etc.

BTW the old thermostat was not closed, probably a 2 to 3mm gap all the way around when I pulled it from a cold motor which is what I expected.
    Last edited by aldo10; 07-04-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Apologies that should read " new aftermarket thermostat" not gauge. The gauge is the original.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    nah, everything should be fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    poteto potato
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre