Car suddenly turning off while driving

Hi all,

A noob here so apologies if the info is not detailed enough but will try my best to explain my problem:

I have a 2006 Honda Accord Euro Manual, and have been having issues where the car would suddenly turn off as I am slowing down or stopping.
    Let's say I'm slowing down at a set of lights or give way, I put the car into first gear and the engine would suddenly turn off (sort of like it has stalled but the car is still moving if that makes sense). The electrics are still on and I am able to turn it back on immediately and keep driving. This has happened around 6 times in the past 18 months. I've taken to a mechanic who was not able to pinpoint the problem. I am now looking for a better one.

Yesterday however, this issue got a lot worse as it suddenly stopped but the whole car switched off, engine and electrics and was completely dead. I was slowing down for a red light, put the car in neutral to let it roll and then the car just completely shut down. I couldn't even put on my hazard lights so my car was dead in the middle of a three lane road. I had to get it towed back but when it got home, the car started up again and I was able to move it back into the driveway.

So now I'm looking for a good mechanic north of Perth to take it to, but am also hesitant on driving the car just in case it dies again with no warning.

Has anyone encountered this problem in the past or can they shed any light on this issue? Is it a known issue with this vehicle? I've looked online for similar issues without any luck so hopefully can get some info here.

Cheers

Having informed my brother of his 2006 golf issue - exactly the same , shut off while driving etc - it turned out to be a bad ECU which had grounding issues. We only found this out after using a scantool.
    So , I would be inclined to get to a professional with a proper honda OBD2 scantool and look for errors , and if possible look at a replacement ECU or reprogrammed unit

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Ignition switch issue, happens to preludes too, actually the 1997 preludes had an issue where they could pull out the key while driving without switching the ignition to off, and the car would shut off and be potentially fatal
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Thanks for the feedback, I'll bring up the ECU and grounding issues with the mechanic for my next service. Would this have to be looked at by a Honda dealer or any decent mechanic would be able to do the job?

In terms of the ignition switch issues what would be potential fixes for that? Is it something that would be easily identifiable by the mechanic? If so, very disappointed that they've yet to look into it seeing as how I've mentioned the issue to them before.

Cheers
    Last edited by spaceddt; 27-04-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    check alternator voltages too
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars