Thread: Gen 3 steering

Gen 3 steering

I have two gen 3 Preludes. The first one I've had for around 18 years but is showing too much exterior deterioration now due to living outside a shed, so I bought a second one.
    My question relates to the steering.
    The steering in the new Prelude is much heavier than the first Prelude. The power steering is definitely working, at least to some degree. The thing is, when parking it feels fine although slightly heavy, but at road speeds it is much heavier than the first Prelude.
    What should I be checking for ?
    Are there common faults that occur to gen 3 steering ?
    Last edited by Purple; 06-05-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    This is normal. Between the gearbox and VSS or VSD is a hydraulic valve that helps govern power assist of the power steering system as the vehicle speed varies. The faster you go the less power assist you should get, this gives you a better feel of the road.

Tyre width is also a factor.

This hydrualic valve has two hoses that go to the steering rack.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    This is normal. Between the gearbox and VSS or VSD is a hydraulic valve that helps govern power assist of the power steering system as the vehicle speed varies. The faster you go the less power assist you should get, this gives you a better feel of the road.

Tyre width is also a factor.

This hydrualic valve has two hoses that go to the steering rack.
    Thanks for that.
    The steering in both vehicles acts the same as in lighter for parking than for on the road, but the second car's steering is prob 2 times heavier for parking and 3 times heavier on the road than the first.
    It's a significant difference.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Hydrualic pressure could be a factor