Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Accord Euro

Shaking Accord Euro CL9 fix - replace CV joints vs modify drive shafts?

Hi all,

My '06 CL9 Accord Euro Luxury (about 155,000 kms on the odometer) has been having the troubles described here for the last few months: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...one-anyways-P)

My mechanic (who I trust, helped me out when the alternator shit itself about 5 months ago) originally thought that it may have been a lead or a plug on its way out, until I took him for a drive in it and showed him how the whole chassis shakes. He wasn't too sure about what was the cause until I found the above thread and showed him.
    After talking to his 'driveshaft guy', they are recommending that they send off my driveshafts to QLD (from VIC) to have them modified from 3 ball to 6 ball. Their reasoning is that if I do that instead of just replacing the CV joints, it will prevent the problem happening again in the future

My question is: Is this necessary? Or should I just stick with replacing the CV joints? Or even just getting new driveshafts? They couldn't give me a definitive $$$ figure for the modifications, but my mechanic estimated about $500-600.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Whatever cheaper. I guess
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Lux
    Did you end up replacing the joints or the whole shaft?

I have the same year model CL9 and the shaking started on mine at about 140k kms. After checking out the numerous threads here about the issue then speaking to my mechanic (who used to work in a Honda dealership), I ended up replacing both driveshafts with locally remanufactured units at around $800 supplied and fitted. I found cheaper driveshafts online from a few other places in Australia but apparently nearly all of these are fully imported and may not have the same quality and longevity.

I asked why not replace just the inner cv's was told the reasons are as follows:
    - The existing splines could have wear and this would just wear out the new cv's faster.
    - The outer cv's last longer but would need to be replaced down the track so might as well replace them at the same time.
    - There is extra labour involved in removing the old cv's, repacking with new grease, sealing etc. Removing and installing complete driveshafts takes less time.

I spent a little more than I anticipated but the shaking is completely gone and the car is enjoyable to drive again!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    $800 is a lot of money. Does the inner CV joint fault for the euro usually caused by split boot (and loss of grease)?
    For CV joints that are still OK, is it worth doing preventative maintenance on them so that it last longer. I am thinking of replacing the boot and repacking with quality grease. Maybe redline cv2 grease.

I know the common practice (esp if done by mechanic) is not to do them (is it worth putting the effort) and just replace them when it is broken.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Accord Euro
    I ended up getting the driveshafts modified, for the exact reasons that your mechanic told you. It ended up being about $700