Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic TypeR EP3

Ep3 speaker size

Hey,

Does anyone know what the standard size speakers are for the 2004 Honda civic type r ep3 ?

2 from and 2 rear speakers, I'm guessing 6" don't wanna waste time pulling door trims off if I can

Cheers

From looking around the web, it's actually 6.6 inch for both, but do some research as the fronts are held in with a really odd setup meaning you will need some kind of spacer/adapter. I just tried to mount a set of Kenwood 6 inch for my rears, and found 2 issues, 1, they need to be 6.5 inch, 6 inch will fit but I was trying not to drill any holes for mounting. 2, they must be low height, I couldn't get the cover back on so gave up, packed them all back in the box and am taking back to Jb Hifi tomorrow. I really wanted 3 way, but my budget is small so might just get 2 way if I can find a set around the $90 I paid for the Kenwoods. I have an Alpine head unit which will get swapped out for a double din gps and stereo combo later.
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by tseesinngwailo View Post
    From looking around the web, it's actually 6.6 inch for both, but do some research as the fronts are held in with a really odd setup meaning you will need some kind of spacer/adapter. I just tried to mount a set of Kenwood 6 inch for my rears, and found 2 issues, 1, they need to be 6.5 inch, 6 inch will fit but I was trying not to drill any holes for mounting. 2, they must be low height, I couldn't get the cover back on so gave up, packed them all back in the box and am taking back to Jb Hifi tomorrow. I really wanted 3 way, but my budget is small so might just get 2 way if I can find a set around the $90 I paid for the Kenwoods. I have an Alpine head unit which will get swapped out for a double din gps and stereo combo later.
    Don't go 3 way. 2 way will always sound better. Unless you have a crossover for each tweeter then both will be receiving the same signal and there won't be any difference to sound quality. Bringing out 3-way speakers was a marketing ploy to charge you an extra $100 for a tweeter....

I ended up finding a set of Sony 4 Way on special at JbHifi when I took the Kenwoods back, on checking the specs on the box, found the tweeter part only rises 16mm above the rim of the speaker, while the Kenwoods were 34mm. The best part is by playing around with rotating the speakers around, was able to use the factory 3 holes to mount, so no drilling. The factory speaker covers then fit back on without touching any part of the speaker. Sound quality is fine, I am not after concert quality. Oh, the speakers were $129, reduced to $39!
    Last edited by tseesinngwailo; 01-07-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.