05 Accord Euro Power Steering Noise

Hi guys,

My 05 Euro has a noise coming from the power steering pump. Check out the video here. Sorry it's so shaky, but I was filming and turning the wheel. In the video, I turn the wheel and you can hear the noise slightly, then I go to full lock and you can hear it a lot more. I go back and forth on full lock a few times, then turn the wheels full lock the other way towards the end of the video.

This was filmed when the car is cold, and when the car is cold it's more obvious, but I think this is because the revs are up. If the car is warm, and you rev and turn the wheel, you can hear it as well.

My mechanic suggested a full flush of the power steering system, and I got a quote from Honda for $130 which involves them disconnecting one or both ends of the steering rack while the car is running, and flushing fluid through it.

Apart from the noise, the steering seems fine, but I was just after some thoughts.

Cheers,

Adam

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by adamc11 View Post
    Hi guys,

My 05 Euro has a noise coming from the power steering pump. Check out the video here. Sorry it's so shaky, but I was filming and turning the wheel. In the video, I turn the wheel and you can hear the noise slightly, then I go to full lock and you can hear it a lot more. I go back and forth on full lock a few times, then turn the wheels full lock the other way towards the end of the video.

This was filmed when the car is cold, and when the car is cold it's more obvious, but I think this is because the revs are up. If the car is warm, and you rev and turn the wheel, you can hear it as well.

My mechanic suggested a full flush of the power steering system, and I got a quote from Honda for $130 which involves them disconnecting one or both ends of the steering rack while the car is running, and flushing fluid through it.

Apart from the noise, the steering seems fine, but I was just after some thoughts.

Cheers,

Adam
    I OR OZHONDA DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE ARISING FROM THESE INSTRUCTIONS
    PROCEDE WITH CAUTION

Or you could buy two bottles of Honda P.S fluid for $19 ea.
    Get a turkey baster or a hand pump.
    Use it to empty power steering fluid reserviour.
    Start car let it run for a few seconds - as fluid from the rack will flow into the reserviour.
    Turn of car.
    Remove left over fluid from reserviour
    Turn on car again... DO NOT LET IT RUN DRY FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Turn off car
    Fill empty reserviour with new HONDA P.S fluid
    Turn on car. Full lock left to right a few times to bleed the system (self bleeding)
    Turn off car
    Check fluid level - add if neceessary
    Congratulations you have serviced your long over due power steering fluid

Repco/SCA/etc. sells Penrite HPSO (honda power steering fluid) if the dealer is closed
    Repco are having 35% off Penrite oil this weekend
    Good luck
    Last edited by Jasemas; 29-05-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Cheers, Adam
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum