Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

ABS issues, maybe.

Car: Honda CRX (Del Sol)
    Build date: May '96

So on occasion, when I start the car the ABS light will stay on for longer than usual and the car will make a noise like some wires are shorting out or something. It's a wierd vibration like noise and until it stops the ABS light will stay on. From the information that was supplied to me by the previous owner, the ABS system had a fault but was repaired, however this noise has been happening for a while now and recently the ABS light has been turning on while i've been driving (the noise happens too but will stop after 15 seconds).

Has this happened to anyone else before? Any ideas what would be causing it and how to fix?

It hasn't bothered me in the past because it would only happen for 3 or so seconds when I'd start the car, but it's happening more frequently and while I'm driving as well.

Thanks.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Your ABS Accumulator is failing or has failed.

On power up the ABS ECU does a self test from time to time and that is the noise your hearing, you can feel the brake pedal vibrate as well.

When the accumulator has failed the ABS pump runs longer to try and build up the pressure however it cannot and the ECU detects this and registers a fault code.

Fault code 1-8 (Accumulator Gas Leak) in ABS memory confirms this.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    I'm in the process of trying to find a spare one to repair. I know the location of two but these people are unwilling to part with the abs unit.

As soon as I have updates, I will update you.

My reply to u is complete
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my foot on the brake pedal the next time I start the car to see if there is any vibration as well. Is that a common issue with ABS systems? I'll have a look to see what repairs were done when the system was faulty last time and I'll update.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    From my thorough internet investigations, I believe all that's needed is a new O ring.
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Do they still make those new? Would I be able to pick one up from a Honda service centre? I wouldn't know where to pick one up from.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    honda should be able to get them in, unless they are shitty and wont help you

amant advise
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

ABS Accumulator failing is common.
    As far as these O'rings go, which are you speaking of? The modulator piston o'rings?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Still waiting for it to fail at start up. I don't understand why it would fail a few times and then be fine again.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Still waiting for it to fail at start up. I don't understand why it would fail a few times and then be fine again.
    It's called an intermittent failure.
    SSpamily

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post

Because the pressure has built up enough not to fail, when the pressure is to low the pump has to run longer, the ABS ECU detects this and trips the code.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    Because the pressure has built up enough not to fail, when the pressure is to low the pump has to run longer, the ABS ECU detects this and trips the code.
    Oh ok, that makes sense. I thought that it wouldn't be able to build up pressure at all if it was faulty. You learn something new every day.