Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord

2003 Honda Accord Centre Display Backlight Fault

Just returned from our local Honda Service Centre after taking my 2003 V6 Honda Accord in for repairs to the central display panel. (ie radio, disk player, heater display) that had stopped displaying the readouts on the display. Advised that the vehicles radio display panel has an internal fault and will require replacement. Cost of supply and fit replacement panel is $1494.

A Google search identified that Honda USA had recognised this as a problem in Accords from 2001 to 2008 and was covering it by a warranty that was extended for 7 years from purchase or t0 100,000. Apparently it is a faulty resistor, worth a $1, that packs it in and stops the backlight display from showing the relevant digital readouts on the display. Everything works fine except you cant see any of the display.

Anyone in Australia had a similar issue and were Honda Australia acknowledging the problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    no, Honda Australia were not acknowledging the problem.

you might have to look at finding an electricial repairer (xbox/playstation mod shop or something) who may be able to do some soldering for you
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord
    Thanks Fredoops, did you have a similar problem or dealings directly with Honda regarding the fault?

I have viewed a number of instruction videos on solving the problem with a dab of solder, including the videos of how to remove the centre console to get to the radio and it appears not for the faint hearted. It does grate that a $1 faulty resistor can cost $1500 to fix. I have tried a couple of links to US sites that were supplying replacement component boards but that option appears to be no longer available.

I will see if I can find a patient electrical repairer.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord V6 Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by Mera84 View Post
    Thanks Fredoops, did you have a similar problem or dealings directly with Honda regarding the fault?

I have viewed a number of instruction videos on solving the problem with a dab of solder, including the videos of how to remove the centre console to get to the radio and it appears not for the faint hearted. It does grate that a $1 faulty resistor can cost $1500 to fix. I have tried a couple of links to US sites that were supplying replacement component boards but that option appears to be no longer available.

I will see if I can find a patient electrical repairer.
    This is a relatively easy repair for anyone with basic soldering skills. The Head unit is relatively easy to remove, it is very simple to unplug the Radio-CD from the HVAC mother board. Someone who works on any kind of CB or CD/Radio player should have no trouble getting the Radio open, gaining access to the Radio board, and bridging the old resistive link. I've taken a couple apart over the past few years. (Although I do have the Technical skills to make this a simple task).

If you need a close up clear picture let me know. As you noted, there are a few videos out there, some not so clear with the pictures, most incorrectly show the removal of the top centre (ac vents) section, omitting the removal of a screw recessed in the hazard switch and don't show the correct way to pull the top cover forward to release the clips.

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    Worse comes to worse you can replace it with an aftermarket direct fit GPS unit for under $1k. Money better spent than dealer option i think.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCl View Post
    This is a relatively easy repair for anyone with basic soldering skills. The Head unit is relatively easy to remove, it is very simple to unplug the Radio-CD from the HVAC mother board. Someone who works on any kind of CB or CD/Radio player should have no trouble getting the Radio open, gaining access to the Radio board, and bridging the old resistive link. I've taken a couple apart over the past few years. (Although I do have the Technical skills to make this a simple task).

If you need a close up clear picture let me know. As you noted, there are a few videos out there, some not so clear with the pictures, most incorrectly show the removal of the top centre (ac vents) section, omitting the removal of a screw recessed in the hazard switch and don't show the correct way to pull the top cover forward to release the clips.
    Thanks Mike CL for your reply. If you are able to attach a clear picture that would be appreciated.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by minircc View Post
    Worse comes to worse you can replace it with an aftermarket direct fit GPS unit for under $1k. Money better spent than dealer option i think.
    Apologies minircc for not understanding but can you elaborate a bit on what you are suggesting.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord V6 Lux
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHA.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	28548

It's R797, replace it with a link or a 1 ohm 1/4 watt resistor.

Top of the picture on the PCB just left of centre.
    Last edited by MikeCl; 21-07-2015 at 08:54 PM.