Thread: D16y4 issue

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY

D16y4 issue

hey guys so this is my issue. got caught speeding on the highway and my little ek1 has been in my garage for around a month. i started it a week after it has been sitting and it was fine. i didn't start it for a further two weeks because i wasn't bothered and work had me going all day and night. a few days ago i started my car and noticed that a lot of steam or "whitish" smoke coming out my exhaust. its not a very thick smoke but im not liking how its doing this.

could this be because i have not driven it for a while? could it be that the petrol in my tank is going bad? or could it be that my engine is burning up coolant?

i have noticed the coolant reso to be a little lower but im not to sure as the readings ive monitored have had different results.( as in not sure if its actually losing )

when i do start it. i allow it enough time so the rad fan kicks on. And if im sure, that is a sign that the thermo opens correct?

im still new to all this. any help will be appreciated

D16y4 issue

Not from leaving it for 2 weeks. Not from bad petrol otherwise it would have happened as soon as you got this tank full.
    Could definitely be coolant involved but more likely a leak in the engine, not simply having "not enough". Check you oil and coolant levels and top up as needed. Sounds like dodgy head gasket.

Tbh, if you're not confident fixing it yourself , take to mechanic ASAP. Blowing smoke could net you a huge fine from the EPA and/or get your car defected. Good luck!

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    White smoke = oil or coolant being burnt (getting into the cylinders). Excess fuel causes black smoke.

You could also be paranoid and it might just be condensation which is more visable in winter.

If it is oil being burnt it is most likely your piston rings letting it in or valve stem seals.

If coolant it is most likely a headgasket.

Get a compression tester tool - that should give you some indication of if it is the rings.

When, cold start the without the rad cap on.. if you see bubbling or foaming, that is a sign of headgasket, because the cylinder pressure is going into the coolant through a breach in the head gasket and that pressure is making bubbles in the fluid.

Also, the thermostat is a mechanical device.. it just opens when hot and lets coolant go to the radiator- the car doesnt know when the thermostat is open.. the fan just kicks in at a certain engine temperature - if your thermostat is broken your car will overheat and show on the dash temp needle.
    Last edited by Dxs; 03-07-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: said fuel instead of oil

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Cold engines burn a richer fuel to air mixture however the result is usually black smoke/soot from the rear pipes. It is more than likely condensation.

Get someone with a drivers license to take it for a drive and warm it up and see if it goes away.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    If he's desperate wouldn't he be able to just let it idle for a while until it warms up to see if it stops blowing smoke?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY
    no i am not desperate. i tested the car with the rad cap off and there were no signs of bubbles or foam.

buying a compression tester soon. thanks anyways guys it most likely is my paranoia. as said its more than likely condensation as i havent lost any oil or coolant from starting it regularly