Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    You can also try penrite racing 10tenths 5w30 which has a much higher zinc content.
    Oh yeah

Just wait til Repco have a 35/40% off Penrite oil weekend :P

I stock up

Edit Post: We are due to have one soon :P or if you have an RACV/RACW card wait til its 30% off weekend
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

You can also try penrite racing 10tenths 5w30 which has a much higher zinc content.
    I've never heard of this before. Just had a little look though and from what i can gather, its a big step up from the normal fully synthetic range as far as performance and zinc content goes, which may be better for the high-ish revving VCM motor in our accord? From above, the extra zinc may help out the motor when the single bank of cylinders isnt running? I had a quick look at it, looks like Supercheap sell it for $76. I'm more than happy to spend that if the protection is going to be much greater. (and yeah, keeping in mind SCA have their discount weekends) (Didnt know about RAC actually! Tell me more? )

Misses wont drive the accord hard when she is driving it, so if the oil will help there with the zinc, then great! I on the other hand, will happily drive with the paddle shifts give it a good time

Part 2 of my most recent post, after some research.

HPR5 5w40 has 1050PPM of zinc... HPR5 is API rated at SN/CF (Which is the latest rating of API)
    RACING5 5w30 has 1320PPM of zinc... RACING5 is API rated as SL/CF (Which is an older rating of API)
    RACING10 10w40 has 1240PPM of zinc... RACING10 is API rated the same as HPR5 (which is the recommended oil on Penrite's website)

Would it be worth running (And can the motor actually handle on a long-term basis) the RACING10 to get the Zinc benefits, but also keep the API rating to the latest? (From research, the RACING5 exceeds the SL rating, but cannot find anywhere that proves it meets or exceeds the minimum for the later SN rating which the Accord motor may or may not require - cant find what the accord 3.5L needs). I have a feeling that the 10w40 may be too thick but, cant work out how important the rating is.

Thought you might all like to know what Penrite think on the discussion of Racing5 oil vs HPR5 for my specific Honda Accord. Please see below, looks like the Racing oil will be the oil for me

"The Racing 5W-30 will be fine.
    Its additive package is that used to make API SN oil but because of the really high zinc level it can only claim API SL. This oil uses PAO and ester as the base, making it shear-free as the conventional polymers used to get the “multigrading” can be left out of the mix. It’s definitely the better oil."

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Neither or is fine tbh. You can swap in between really. Whichever is on special lol
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowchild93 View Post
    Thought you might all like to know what Penrite think on the discussion of Racing5 oil vs HPR5 for my specific Honda Accord. Please see below, looks like the Racing oil will be the oil for me

"The Racing 5W-30 will be fine.
    Its additive package is that used to make API SN oil but because of the really high zinc level it can only claim API SL. This oil uses PAO and ester as the base, making it shear-free as the conventional polymers used to get the “multigrading” can be left out of the mix. It’s definitely the better oil."
    Pretty sure the API spec for Accord is SL/SN
    Any oil meeting the vicsocity requirements nowdays easily surpasses that rating

BTW
    Repco are having 40% OFF RRP SHELL & VALVOLINE OILS THIS WEEKEND
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Valvoline synpower 5w30 is a good oil with a decent dose of zddp as well

I'm using penrite premium 0w40 lol... go winter.

BTW the most recent API ratings are very cat converter friendly.

High zinc/zddp for long term reduces the effectiveness of your cat converter. Hence oils with high zddp don't get the latest API.

I already run a high flow cat so I really dgaf.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 06-08-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Valvoline synpower 5w30 is a good oil with a decent dose of zddp as well

I'm using penrite premium 0w40 lol... go winter.

BTW the most recent API ratings are very cat converter friendly.

High zinc/zddp for long term reduces the effectiveness of your cat converter. Hence oils with high zddp don't get the latest API.

I already run a high flow cat so I really dgaf.
    Reduces the effectiveness of the cat converter to stop emissions or may reduce flow through it? Regardless, if we have any issues with the exhaust, i'd be more than happy to look into getting a higher flowing exhaust for it haha

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Zinc coats the honeycomb cat thingy

ah okay, good to know!