First K-SWAP, lots of questions! JDM K20a EP3

Hey guys,

Just picked myself up a JDM K20a from an EP3 but has sustained a little damage. I'm new to the K-series world so bare with me, B-series engines were more my forte over the past few years but it's time to move on!

First things first, the car it's in took a hit to the front which was enough to damage a few parts listed below. I want to get the engine turning over first to make sure everything is all healthy before jumping in the deep end so looking to repair the engine parts necessary to get it started.

Intake Manifold - Cracked, needs replacing. It's a PRC manifold. If I bought a cheap PRB manifold, is it possible to bolt this straight on for testing purposes?

TPS sensor - The front cover is smashed which also broke the plug off, needs replacing. Any other compatible TPS, which engines?

PCS valve - On top of throttle body, cracked in half. I guess I can get away with leaving this as is if most people delete it anyway during their k-swap?

Thermostat Housing
    - The plastic neck snapped off. If you need to upgrade this during k-swap I probably won't bother replacing it right now

Alternator - Cracked housing, not sure if any internal damage

Not sure if there's anything else yet, is there anything I should look out for around that frontal area.

Thanks

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Yes you can run PRB manifold without any problem
    We got tps sensor in stock at JDMyard.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by dorikin View Post
    Hey guys,

Just picked myself up a JDM K20a from an EP3 but has sustained a little damage. I'm new to the K-series world so bare with me, B-series engines were more my forte over the past few years but it's time to move on!

First things first, the car it's in took a hit to the front which was enough to damage a few parts listed below. I want to get the engine turning over first to make sure everything is all healthy before jumping in the deep end so looking to repair the engine parts necessary to get it started.

Intake Manifold - Cracked, needs replacing. It's a PRC manifold. If I bought a cheap PRB manifold, is it possible to bolt this straight on for testing purposes? this is fine

TPS sensor - The front cover is smashed which also broke the plug off, needs replacing. Any other compatible TPS, which engines? try find another oem sensor, hard to do tho

PCS valve - On top of throttle body, cracked in half. I guess I can get away with leaving this as is if most people delete it anyway during their k-swap? delete it

Thermostat Housing
    - The plastic neck snapped off. If you need to upgrade this during k-swap I probably won't bother replacing it right now replace with another oem k20 housing

Alternator - Cracked housing, not sure if any internal damage you'll have to replace

Not sure if there's anything else yet, is there anything I should look out for around that frontal area.

Thanks
    post up a pic of damage
    part time potato

Thanks all

I had another thought, instead of trying to start it I might just do a compression test. Does this sound ok with a cracked manifold? Comp test is more or less just cranking with open throttle. I know I would have to be careful of dirt and debris.

Would save me having to buy a PRB when I was planning to get an RBC anyway and I can take my time gathering the other parts
    Last edited by dorikin; 15-08-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by dorikin View Post

I had another thought, instead of trying to start it I might just do a compression test. Does this sound ok with a cracked manifold?
    Before you do this I would do a very thorough inspection to ensure there are no broken bits of intake manifold which have made there way down. Could be bits sitting on top of the valves or even fallen into the cylinders.

Remove manifold and plugs from each cylinder and have a very good look before you do anything

That's a very valid point you make. I'm more inclined now to just removing the motor out of the car first so I have better access to everything.

Thanks for the help

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    no problem.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mocchi again.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mocchi again.
    ditto
    SSpamily