Question 09 Honda Accord 40th Anniversary 4cyl Self Service?

Hey guys, new here

Im here cause i know basically nothing about hondas; i usually keep to nissan or euro cars. My parents have a Honda Accord 40th Anniversary 2.4l (8th gen cp2, if research proves correct; cp3 is the 6cyl right?)

And they havent serviced in A WHILE, like a really long while; half a year to a year lucky they dont use the car that often.
    All services have been at a Honda Dealer though
    Resale value isnt an issue to them; parents are its first owner and they arent thinking of selling

Now i was wondering what the best engine oil was to use (performance wise); as they dont want to service at a dealership (they think they're getting ripped off) and if there should be anything else i look at due to such a long gap in service.

Or should I just advise them to get a service at a mechanic, i have a few friends that can service honda's

Edit: Friend recommends Castrol edge 1060 10w-60; but in the owners manual it doesnt have that viscosity; what do you guys think on that? is it bad to go out of recommended engine oil spec?
    Last edited by PaperBox; 13-08-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: adding info

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    lol
    Tell your friend to piss off
    A 10w60 is for higher end BMW's and high kms cars with loose tolerances
    It's the wrong viscosity of oil for a Honda

Use Penrite HPR5 , 5w-40 and you'll be fine
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    lol
    Tell your friend to piss off
    A 10w60 is for higher end BMW's and high kms cars with loose tolerances
    It's the wrong viscosity of oil for a Honda

Use Penrite HPR5 , 5w-40 and you'll be fine
    his theory is that honda's tend to burn a bit of oil, so a higher viscosity counters that. He deals with mostly performance cars so maybe this applies to older hondas or track cars though.
    I'm looking at Castrol Edge 5w-30, is there a big difference between 5w-30 and 5w-40? is Penrite better then Castrol for a Honda?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperBox View Post
    his theory is that honda's tend to burn a bit of oil, so a higher viscosity counters that. He deals with mostly performance cars so maybe this applies to older hondas or track cars though.
    I'm looking at Castrol Edge 5w-30, is there a big difference between 5w-30 and 5w-40? is Penrite better then Castrol for a Honda?
    Hondas may/will not burn oil unless they have high kms or driven really hard day in day out
    Why put a wrong viscosity oil in a relativley new & low km honda, just to ruin it?
    Besides if your parents don't drive it much it needs a thinner oil to get it up to temp quickly
    I'd go penrite 5w40 as it has extra zinc to protect the engine

And the 2.4L is NOT A 6CYL
    I don't think you should be servicing this car...
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Hondas may/will not burn oil unless they have high kms or driven really hard day in day out
    Why put a wrong viscosity oil in a relativley new & low km honda, just to ruin it?
    Besides if your parents don't drive it much it needs a thinner oil to get it up to temp quickly
    I'd go penrite 5w40 as it has extra zinc to protect the engine

And the 2.4L is NOT A 6CYL
    I don't think you should be servicing this car...
    Thanks, i think ill go with that.

And yeah i know its not 6cyl, i was just asking for clarification on whether cp2 = 2.4l l4 and the cp3 = 3.5l 6cyl