Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Navi 2006

Hissing noise after engine is turned off, engine would not start after.

Hello all..I have Honda Euro 2006.
    Have drive it today to work, stopped at Bunnings for few minutes and then got back into my car and drove it to work.
    Turned of and was going to get something from the back and hear a loud hissing / grinding kind of a noise, though it was coming from some road works but it was coming from my engine bay.
    It was really load and it was not an air con decompressing as I was not running aircon at all, it lasted good few minutes, as if it was releasing some pressure.
    Then I hear like a switch or a relay and it stopped.

I cannot turn my car on now, battery is in great condition, starter is not cranking, I have changed starter probably couple of months ago, all indicates it is the starter that is the issue, I can change it under warranty but it is not easy to take it off and I am really confused and concerned about the noise I heared as I have never heard it before, engine has never overheated, normal operating temperature.

I have ODB2 reader on my way to try to read some fault codes, until then I am not sure where t start, all fuses look good, I am not sure if I have not connected all the cables and starter/hoses after re-installing the starter but if that was the case it would have done so way before as I have been running it for over 2 months now.

I cannot see starter making this kind of noise after engine was turned off..

Any suggestions ideas are welcome...thanks...

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Edit.

So the hissing and grinding was when the car was shut off?

Ps: the starter is on the front of the engine under the intake manifold.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 14-10-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

check coolant level when the car is cool.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Navi 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Edit.

So the hissing and grinding was when the car was shut off?

Ps: the starter is on the front of the engine under the intake manifold.

Yeah I know well where it is as I changed it 3 months ago not easy to get to it, had to take the manifold off completely, if there was something not put back together correctly if would have shown that in past 3 months.

Never had issue in past 3 months, not sure why coolant level would not make car turn on.
    Noise was coming from the front of the engine and it looked like a relay clicked and then noise stopped..since I cannot turn the engine on..Had car towed back home today, wont have time to check it until weekend, have order one of those OBD2 readers and hoping that this will read out fault code, if not will need to check if starter is the cause again as I don't think it is a fuel pump as it engages as you try to turn the car on..not sure what else it could be, any other relay issues anyone experienced similar to this..fuses looked all good, need to check main relays as they cannot be really checkd and inspected visually....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Navi 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    check coolant level when the car is cool.

Will do..checked it actually a day before this happened, as I check fluid levels once a month at least...it is driving me insane..

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    get us an update please. interested to know what has happened there.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Navi 2006
    Will do...was expecting a OBD2 reader to arrive today to read Error codes and it hasn't not keen taking the starter off again if it is not a starter and not easy to test it while on the engine as it is deep under manifold, not easily accessible...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Doubtful that the starter is the culprit but you never know but I'd say don't bother pulling it out until you have reason to believe it is the fault.
    Start from the battery and sus out the ignition system and then the fuel system, unless you are acctually getting an engine light I'm not too sure how useful the scanner will be however.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    What brand starter did you put in?
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Navi 2006
    Hi all,

I was concerned with the noise that I heard....I have today taken the starter out, have tested started ignition lead with having someone to start it and ignition lead that was coming to the the starter was giving me 12V which was a clear indicator that starter is not engaging..

I can hear fuel pump doing its bit..when I tested started when taken and tested it, it was clear starter has died..when engaged it was hardly giving any life, it was just, but just spinning with 0.0003% power,
    it looks like that noise i was hearing were magnets inside of the starter grinding...no excluding that something else has gone wrong but starter is dead full stop. I am picking a new one Monday morning and will be putting it in to see the result...

I am not sure what is the brand to be honest..it is a business locally and on eBay as well, happened to be 2 minutes from my work, he sells heaps of them, he sells them to O'brien mobile car servicing as well as all other auto electrician in the area and he was soooo honest...he said that he hardly ever gets any returned and gave me 2 yr warranty as well..

Honda wanted $1500 or $1600 if not more just for the part....I paid $199 for it....it is like anything else, if it ig going to die it will be withing first few months, otherwise would gone the distance...will see...hoping it is only that...it is not easy to change it due to having to remove the manifold...

Will keep you updated...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Please do, very interested. I haven't heard is starters hissin befor...

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by tuppelo View Post
    Hi all,

I was concerned with the noise that I heard....I have today taken the starter out, have tested started ignition lead with having someone to start it and ignition lead that was coming to the the starter was giving me 12V which was a clear indicator that starter is not engaging..

I can hear fuel pump doing its bit..when I tested started when taken and tested it, it was clear starter has died..when engaged it was hardly giving any life, it was just, but just spinning with 0.0003% power,
    it looks like that noise i was hearing were magnets inside of the starter grinding...no excluding that something else has gone wrong but starter is dead full stop. I am picking a new one Monday morning and will be putting it in to see the result...

I am not sure what is the brand to be honest..it is a business locally and on eBay as well, happened to be 2 minutes from my work, he sells heaps of them, he sells them to O'brien mobile car servicing as well as all other auto electrician in the area and he was soooo honest...he said that he hardly ever gets any returned and gave me 2 yr warranty as well..

Honda wanted $1500 or $1600 if not more just for the part....I paid $199 for it....it is like anything else, if it ig going to die it will be withing first few months, otherwise would gone the distance...will see...hoping it is only that...it is not easy to change it due to having to remove the manifold...

Will keep you updated...
    May as well get a second hand OEM part from a wreckers and get an auto ele. to rebuild it
    If you can get your hands on an OE part number
    See if amayama.com can get you the starter for 1/3 the price lol
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum