Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smell of burning clutch while daily driving

Recently during daily drive a burnt clutch smell is coming from the back of the engine bay, im assuming it's the clutch. I don't ride the clutch nor was dropping it or anything hoon like.
    Happened a few days ago. Driving an 04 accord euro.
    I read somewhere it was a leak that burns giving off the smell was just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue?
    Friction point hasnt changed either, no grinding or slipping, friction is about 1/3 from the bottom

How many Ks on it ? Has the clutch been replaced recently ?
    Might be a slow leak off the main seal (located behind the flywheel on the engine side) and this might be leaking onto the flywheel or clutch housing, giving slight slip and smell.

There is a small inspection plate underneath the gearbox / housing area that can be removed to have a peek - if you open this and oil leaks out or or looks dark and moist inside I'd say that's what the issue is

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    was ganna say rear main
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Say it then
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    Say it then
    say my name say my name

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Say my name say my name

When rennie is around you

Say hey m8y fuk you

Better say my name

Say my name say my name

Just got a little shavey

Lookin like clonts baby

Better say my name
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    Say my name say my name

When rennie is around you

Say hey m8y fuk you

Better say my name

Say my name say my name

Just got a little shavey

Lookin like clonts baby

Better say my name

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    Eh heeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    How many Ks on it ? Has the clutch been replaced recently ?
    Might be a slow leak off the main seal (located behind the flywheel on the engine side) and this might be leaking onto the flywheel or clutch housing, giving slight slip and smell.

There is a small inspection plate underneath the gearbox / housing area that can be removed to have a peek - if you open this and oil leaks out or or looks dark and moist inside I'd say that's what the issue is
    clutch from factory hasn't been changed as far as my friend is concerned (he purchased from original owner and sold to myself), 127xxx on it friction point is still low. Took it to 2 mechanics who just smelt it and said it's the clutch dying, neither examined for leaks tho so I'll def jack her up tomorrow and have a look and see. Is it costly fix worst case?

also, tested it at the mechanic and he said clutch was responding fine
    Last edited by BishaiR; 31-10-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    The part itself is $50 bucks from JDMyard.

The labour is same as having the clutch changed, cos thats what your doing.

Like Benny said, Jack it up and open the inspection plate its only held there by a 10MM bolt from memory or was it 2 bolts. Its rather simple you will see it, its a small plate in between the box and engine.

The clutch burning smell also can come from the clutch wearing out due to wear and tear.

Regardless your box will be coming off so I'd do a clutch kit + lighter flywheel same time.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    TBH if it was the rear main seal, You would be seeing oil on the driveway eventually. Cos the inspection plate isnt a fully sealed thing. Oil would leak out of there and onto the ground.

Guess this depends on how bad its leaking.

Yeah shes getting jacked up tomorrow to make sure I'm not going to be leaking everywhere. Looking into clutch kits now, thinking about going excedy HD while im at it. Can't find any cheap places for clutches. So much $$$. AS you guys said, while it's out it may as well be done