Connect light to boot light

Hi guys,

Firstly I have an 05 accord euro. I have a subwoofer in my boot and some EL wire which I wish to put around the circumference of the sub. I want to connect the EL wire to the boot light so that it comes on at the same time you open to boot, however, if I tap into the wires on the boot light connector, the wire does not come on. I understand there is a resistor located in in the actual light assembly itself, is this why the light isn't coming on when tapping directly into the actual connector? i.e do I need a resistor?

Down to the point, could anybody suggest a way to allow this wire to light up at the same the boot light comes on? I have tested this wire by connecting directly to the battery and it works, I'm assuming I need to tap into constant 12V power source?

Thanks guys

Where are you earthing the wire?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    You connect your EL lights to a constant 12v fused source, then you connect the negative side of the lights to the boot light switch wire.

The Boot light switch grounds the boot light to make it illuminate.

Cool, thanks for the help!