Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many Ks can i get out of a 99 Civic D16Y4 engine ?

I bought the car with 180,000 Ks on the clock and had it serviced regularly by a mechanic. Timing belt changes, oil changes, new brake discs and pads. The works.
    I've now got 350,000 Ks on it and i'm thinking of getting a new timing belt change + full service on it. Should cost me about $1,000 or more.
    Do you think its worth it ?
    Realistically, how much longer will it last ? It had 1 previous owner and the service book looks like its been serviced regularly. I've never had any issues with it apart from shit that I caused myself.
    Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Will last as long as it will last

No one will be able to give you a time of when it will blow

How long is a piece of string?
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    They tend to die around the 360,000km mark
    part time potato

Fair enough. I can't really afford a car loan at the minute and i'm thinking of spending $1000 on getting it serviced and a timing belt change by a mechanic. If its only going to go for another 50K then there's really no point. If I could get another 100K out of it then definitely i'd spend the money servicing it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    N/A
    Have you currently got any issues with it?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Last D series we had in the family was on ~250,000KM before sold it off. Head Gasket was leaking.

Way too many variables to say how long it will last. If it's currently not burning oil, there's a good chance it could go another 100k without major drama.

Shitbox taxis often run close to a million km because they are running almost constantly. If you do a lot of short trips and push it hard it will expire at lower km's. If you drive sensibly and your driving consists of more highway driving / longer trips, (and it's well serviced) it will last a lot longer.

As others have said, how long is a piece of string?

Personally if money were tight, I'd happily spend some coin on it and keep driving it. Just don't forget things like brakes, wheel bearings, suspension / bushes etc. You don't want any of that gear failing on you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    i would do a compression test on it, and see if there is any oil or bubbles in the coolant.

If it is all good then just keep doing oil and coolant until it is dead - which you can probably do yourself.

With engines its about make sure it cools ok and the oil isn't crappy. Timing belt changes are done so that the timing belt doesnt break which means a busted engine - same for oil pump and water pump - if these break then your engine will die.

From what I've read the d16's oil pumps are the only weak spot.
    my d15b had 514xxx ks on it and its only issues were the oil rings being a little shitty when revving past 5k, so i redid my engine and everything else on it, if it was still ok after so many k's why not refresh it while its still good and drive it for another half a million k's.

Or you could get yourself another d16 motor with around 100,000kms on it (or less).. They are not exactly a desired engine. I've seen them go very cheap lately. Look at classifieds or wreckers. Should be able to get a decent one around the $500 mark if you know what to look for

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Was a while ago mate, I'm sure he figured it out
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    Last D series we had in the family was on ~250,000KM before sold it off. Head Gasket was leaking.
    Tripple layer metal head gasket . Brilliant. Probably slightly warped head.

mine has 360k.Look aftet it and it will last forever.

You just need to replace parts when needed.

timing belt kit ebay + install 6-700.

Use upper engine cleaner to keep the upper engine clean.called super engine conditioner.

Moreys upper cylinder lubricant/fuel system cleaner.

And the best one.... SM-33.For the engine and for the transmission. Check it!!

WORK WITH WHAT U GOT!

Maintain and check EVERYTHING.And stuff WILL last.