Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array

S2000 - Advice on purchasing & Updated (2015/2016) cost of major repairs.

Hi Everyone,

It has been a long while since I posted on here. I am a long time Honda lover (have owned CRX, Civic, Integras) and I am now looking at finally getting an S2000 and would love some advice.

I've read the sticky posts about buying an S2000, so I know what to look out for, I guess I'd appreciate some updated figures on what I might be up for.

I've only got $15k to spend on the car so I am trying to be realistic in presuming that it might need something done to it.

Specifically; a softop replacement (with glass window), new clutch or what it might cost to replace or repair the common diff problem.

I am located in Adelaide so some tips on local mechanics that are good for these sorts of things would also be welcome

Obviously the aim is to try pick one up that doesn't have any of these issues, but I am trying to plan my budget around worst case

Much appreciated guys! Thanks.

Cheers

Ps; if you've got a good S2000 for sale for under 15k with under 150kkms please feel free to get in touch.

You might find something with very high Ks and wear or in need of body repair for $15k or under.

Personally I would stretch the budget to $20k for something cleaner and less worries

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabo View Post
    Ps; if you've got a good S2000 for sale for under 15k with under 150kkms please feel free to get in touch.
    lmfao

just make sure the cluster hasn't been changed and just general inspection on the car interior, look in the boot and see any crash or accident
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Thanks guys. Is there an easy way to tell if the cluster has been changed? I know some searches do indicate some services and the kms they occurred, but other than that is there a way to tell?

Also does anyone know the general costs of what I listed? From my limited research;

New Clutch; around $1,500 fitted.

New Softtop with Glass Window; around $1,700 fitted.

Diff Replacement; around $2,000 fitted

Thanks again guys!

Cheers
    Chris

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabo View Post
    Thanks guys. Is there an easy way to tell if the cluster has been changed? I know some searches do indicate some services and the kms they occurred, but other than that is there a way to tell?

Also does anyone know the general costs of what I listed? From my limited research;

New Clutch; around $1,500 fitted.

New Softtop with Glass Window; around $1,700 fitted.

Diff Replacement; around $2,000 fitted

Thanks again guys!

Cheers
    Chris
    just look at the screws on the clusters, if it has been tempered, then u can see scratch marks.
    I walked away one after seeing it, it might well be for something else, but I didn't wanna take chance especially it was a 30k cars 5 years ago.

its about 10 hours labourer on clutch and flywheel change, standard rate is 120 to 130/hr, that's 1200 to 1300 aud + clutch and flywheel
    depends what diff u want to change it to, it sounds about right

no experience on roof.

one thing u check its the clutch master cylinder, look under the dash and look up the clutch pedal where it connects to the firewall.
    see if there is any leak. its common problem, about $300 to change
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	29085
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    10 hours?! fuk me must be a kunt of a job
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    yh.
    it was quoted on a very good Honda mechanic in WA.
    the bolts that hold the gearbox onto the engine is very hard to get to, u have to loosen the engine mount and lift the engine slightly.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    You're a kunt of a job
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by connorling View Post
    yh.
    it was quoted on a very good Honda mechanic in WA.
    the bolts that hold the gearbox onto the engine is very hard to get to, u have to loosen the engine mount and lift the engine slightly.
    inb4 duncan nissan

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Either save longer to increase your budget or settle for a Type R, FN2R or DC5R.

15k Should get you into a very descent Type R, not soo good S2K...... parramatta RD special maybe.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Also im pretty sure that a normal clutch job would take that 8-10hour mark anyway.

How much extra work is it to un do the engine mounts? I did a similar thing on the rexie with putting the box back on.