Resurfacing flywheel, how much does it cost roughly ?

Hi guys,

I am changing the clutch myself and the flywheel will be taken off to get it resurface/machined. How much will it cost roughly? I'm in Melbourne, anyone recommend a good shop in the eastern suburbs?

Is it a must to resurface the flywheel? I'm a bit short on cash atm.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    For what is costs bout $30-$50 its piece of mind you are installing a nice smooth surface to a new clutch,will help to avoid any issues like clutch shudder,personally i think you be silly to not do it,any brake/clutch shop can machine it

Hi guys,

I am trying to remove the flywheel bolts so I can take the flywheel out and get it machined. I am trying to remove the flywheel bolt but it is slightly stripped. I am afraid to try again by causing more damage to the bolt. The head of the 12 point bolt is so thin, probably about 5mm. Do I use a normal socket or is there some special tool ?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I used a normal socket with a gun to remove. Give small hit enfu to get it moving and move on and remove using hands. Just be careful not to push on the gun onto the flywheel unless the socket will leave marks behind, but a machine shop will take care of this for u.

Just buy new bolts wen you reinstall.

Try soaking the bolts in some wd40 before you try. Im pretty sure red locite is applied to these bolts from memory.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    PS: DO NOT EVER INSTALL ANY BOLTS USING THE GUN. Hand 1st than either torque wrench or mixture of torque wrench and normal wrench depending on the nm you going and follow the pattern.

I have a general rule of thumb if it the bolt takes more than 70nM I wd40 it. Cos about 70nM is where I have to give some sort of strength.

Wait till you have to tighten these lol. I think it was like ~120nM I came close to be basically hanging off my torque wrench to get it to click lmao.
    Last edited by amant02; 09-01-2016 at 12:59 AM.

OK I tried again this morning and the bolt rounded a little more. The head of the bolt is so shallow, it just can't grip it properly. I don't think I can re use it. Where can I get new flywheel bolts ?

Never mind. Spraying some wd40 on the bolts works wonder.

Cheers
    Last edited by jazznewbie; 09-01-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Flywheel bolts - make sure the crank is held with a large socket + breaker bar or similar , a mate holding it helps.
    Use a large 1/2inch breaker bar with a SHORT 12 sided socket. Keep the plane flat to the flywheel as possible. With leverage (good luck if in the engine bay !) it will pop easily enough.

Ps if in sydney you can come past my work - there is a dead auto jazz motor complete with intact flywheel bolts you can have. Just get them off lol

It is so weird, yesterday I was trying forever and couldn't get the bolts off. This morning all 8 bolts came loose in 5 mins. When you are tired and frustrated, nothing ever works out.

Ok, I will fly to sydney to get the bolts lol.

I will take the flywheel and get it machined on Monday. The hardest and most dreaded part is putting the transmission back to the engine. I will probably use all kind of swear words that are known to human.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Yea WD40 is the shit.

Oh I shouldve told you to stick something on the flywheel to stop it from turning.

I used a big flat head and wedged in between the fly and the case

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    as for the gearbox I found it easier to put it wit a mate pulling it up while i got underneath and sort of bench pressed it into approx spot and he guided to the pins and shaft.

Does anyone know where to find the honda part numbers for 2008 civic FD ?

Cheers