Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what's the difference between normal engine oil and stop and start engine oil?

Hi,

Would like to know, what's the difference between normal engine oil and stop and start engine oil?
    and is all brands the same? im thinking of putting castrol magnatec stop-start 10w-30 engine oil into an ek1 civic

thanks

It's just branding and marketing. It is possible there are minute differences depending on the additives put into the oils but generally there isn't much difference.

How many Ks on your car? What engine is it running? What is it currently using? Is it using up a lot?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

OP if you need to ask you probably fell for the marketing spiel.

Some advice - just get ANY suited 10-30 or 5-30 oil and change it every 5,000kms. And your oil filter every second oil change. Cheaper the better (for both oil and filter - ryco is fine for filters and caliber or similar cheap is ok for oil)- you won't notice a difference except in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    It's just branding and marketing. It is possible there are minute differences depending on the additives put into the oils but generally there isn't much difference.

How many Ks on your car? What engine is it running? What is it currently using? Is it using up a lot?
    oh, i see,

115 xxx km

d16y4 motor - stock

Penrite 10-30, normal usage

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    OP if you need to ask you probably fell for the marketing spiel.

Some advice - just get ANY suited 10-30 or 5-30 oil and change it every 5,000kms. And your oil filter every second oil change. Cheaper the better (for both oil and filter - ryco is fine for filters and caliber or similar cheap is ok for oil)- you won't notice a difference except in your wallet.
    oh, i see

i was asking about that particular brand as it was on sale

Quote Originally Posted by EF_Love View Post
    oh, i see,

115 xxx km

d16y4 motor - stock

Penrite 10-30, normal usage
    That's pretty low ks, I'd go with 5W-30 or 5W-40 unless your engine is using it up.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

also, forgot to ask, does engine oil expire after a couple of years? ( even if you havnt opened it?)
    Last edited by EF_Love; 27-12-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    regardless of kms you should change every 6 months
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord 2011
    It is just human nature to try and compare everything especially when there are just too many of them. Nevertheless, as per the responses from fellow drivers here, those different brands are simply marketing gimmicks. I personally do not always buy the most expensive ones but rather look at the suitability of your engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by webbrowan View Post
    It is just human nature to try and compare everything especially when there are just too many of them. Nevertheless, as per the responses from fellow drivers here, those different brands are simply marketing gimmicks. I personally do not always buy the most expensive ones but rather look at the suitability of your engine.
    Pls don't sell me anything
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord 2011
    It could get really tough at times when marketing gimmicks seem so real. You got to really know what you’re doing in order not to be deceived by 2 products that are actually the same but cost way differently. Manufacturers are smart at doing this subtle yet highly effective marketing strategy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Wait wot
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut