Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: B18C7 into GSi

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by aldo10 View Post
    With kids at school and full time work etc it's certainly steady as she goes, nothing happens quickly as spare time is a luxury.

Anyway cheers I'll try and get some pics up after I wash 7 months worth of dust off the bodywork.
    I know this feel.
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Op should resort to using turbo

Helps cbauto
    Last edited by Vvvtec; 26-11-2016 at 08:02 AM.
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Just a oil consumption issue I've noticed. I'm using a lot of oil, probably added around 500ml to 800kms so far. Seeing it's the first run since the engine has sat for 10 months I thought I'd just use GTX2 then dump it at 1000kms and refill with something better.

The exhaust is leaving residue on the rear bumper. Black soot. Doesn't feel oily, more powder like. Plugs burn a nice grey on the electrode. Fuel economy is 8L/100 around the city. Starts with no smoke and doesn't blow any on just revving on the drive on a warm motor. Not sure when it's up and revving hard at speed.

Engine is very smooth and delivers nice power.

The catch is I have an engine light coming on at 3000rpm and I haven't connected up a electrical plug at the rear of the engine which I have been told is some type of emission control as my GSI didn't have anything for it. Could this be the source of my oil usage.

Compression test upon purchase of engine recorded 255psi across all cylinders.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    To anyone that might ask if I've had the engine tuned, I've called two brisbane shops, I've had two recommendations on tuning these, one totalled $2950 and the other was $1600. So at this stage I just want to sort out this engine light and oil consumption.

B18C7 into GSi

Just a oil consumption issue I've noticed. I'm using a lot of oil, probably added around 500ml to 800kms so far. Seeing it's the first run since the engine has sat for 10 months I thought I'd just use GTX2 then dump it at 1000kms and refill with something better.

The exhaust is leaving residue on the rear bumper. Black soot. Doesn't feel oily, more powder like. Plugs burn a nice grey on the electrode. Fuel economy is 8L/100 around the city. Starts with no smoke and doesn't blow any on just revving on the drive on a warm motor. Not sure when it's up and revving hard at speed.

Engine is very smooth and delivers nice power.

The catch is I have an engine light coming on at 3000rpm and I haven't connected up a electrical plug at the rear of the engine which I have been told is some type of emission control as my GSI didn't have anything for it. Could this be the source of my oil usage.

Compression test upon purchase of engine recorded 255psi across all cylinders.
    Did you witness the compression test?

The black residue is from running rich, it is excess fuel not oil. Get rid of the CEL first then start troubleshooting if it is still an issue.

Also get someone to follow you when your car is warmed up at WOT. When I was burning a lot of oil I could only see smoke from the exhaust at high rpm gear shifts.
    Last edited by rc_; 09-12-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Cheers RC, no I didn't witness the comp test. I am organising another one this week just curious.

I have managed to track down a purge solenoid so I'll wait and see if it stops the CEL.

Out of curiosity was you fix for oil consumption a rebuild?

Cheers Al

Yeah, mine was a rebuild at about 280k.

The rings were pretty worn and at least one chamber had leaky valve stem seals. It still drove pretty well prior to the build.

Now the oil consumption is virtually nil.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Interesting. Mine supposedly had a build 15K prior to purchase. Pulling covers off etc gaskets etc can be seen to have been replaced and sealant etc looks newish. I would believe regardless of the build status that it copped a hard life prior to me buying it. I will do more investigating. Apart from top end power the midrange appears much nicer over the B18B.

If it was due for work I'll have to find a Brissy repaired I'd be keen with.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Folks just a question regarding the knock sensor. My wire leading from the KS on the engine is white/red. My existing cabin loom has white/red too. So I am assuming it's all wired up.

When I go to my HA Motorsports diagram for wiring reference, which is what I used for the VTEC solenoid, it says the KS should wire into the ECU at D6. My D6 is empty. I'm confused.

Is it wired correctly or perhaps not?

Only the vtec engines had the knock sensor, so you don't have it in your gsi cabin loom. Obd2a Pinout says it should be red/blue

You will be causing a dtc by not having it wired up.

Run a new wire to d6.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Thanks RC. I'll hook it up. I hope I've got the right sensor? I'm guessing from information I've found on the net that the knock sensors is located to the left of the oil filter when looking at the back of the engine. I would have thought a KS would be in the head but it's all I could find when searching the net.

Thanks RC. I'll hook it up. I hope I've got the right sensor? I'm guessing from information I've found on the net that the knock sensors is located to the left of the oil filter when looking at the back of the engine. I would have thought a KS would be in the head but it's all I could find when searching the net.
    It's in the block right up the top. Be careful when trying to plug in the connector, when the sensors are old the plastic gets brittle and they are very easy to snap off.

Then they are an absolute bitch to get to with the intake manifold on as well so replacing it sucks. Getting good access with a spanner is not going to be easy, it may be slightly easier on a c7 vs a c2 manifold so you might be lucky.