Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: B18C7 into GSi

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Taken from the comments:

"boris lizz

hello nice video.i have one question ,can i just fit in my new piston rings like u with honing or boring the cylinder wall? my cylinder walls look good.most people say, it is good to hone if not the piston rings will not seat well and engine will burn oil.hope to hear from you thanks."

"Replace piston ring in the cylinder liner does not need to wear down. If the cylinder liners are worn. Need Cylinder Boring. And replace the oversized piston rings. Please check the roundness of cylinder liners. And boring lines.*This video shoot. Engine overheated cylinder head gasket damaged Replace cylinder head gasket set and piston ring group. And cylinder liners is not damaged. Replace the piston ring STD. To improve the situation on the engine oil."

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Beeza, that is not the way to do it matey.

It's very obscure and far from ideal. I would not trust the comments in a strange youtube video to tell you how to properly carry out something as important as an engine overhaul...

This is really information that you will find in books and proper articles about rebuilding, such as the SA designs book on rebuilding B series or some of the articles on websites like evans tuning which is why I advise you do some extensive research yourself, since the information is out there for you. That's how I got all my info when I rebuilt my B18 so there's no reason why you can't.

I was really trying to avoid spoon-feeding but none the less, here's the issue with this method you're suggesting. As a matter of fact, piston rings will always require break-in. They will always have high spots on them that need to be worn down during this process, and that's exactly what honing is for. To give the piston rings an abrasive surface to wear against. Getting the break-in process right is a huge deciding factor in whether your rebuilt engine is going to perform well or chug oil.

The tl;dr is:

New piston rings = honed cylinder walls. Always. It's never recommended to try and take dodgy shortcuts just to save having to pull the block from the car.

Now can we please stop clogging up this poor guys thread lol
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 26-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Alright,cheers for that.

And pulling pistons out through the bottom? Dunno how Honda design their blocks but I haven't come across too many blocks that let you pull the pistons out through the bottom. Usually the castings are designed to give you strength around crank journals, so pistons won't fit through the opening.
    You can fit new pistons and rings without a hone job, but that's akin to a paint job without even bothering to wash the car first.
    Once stripped, measure the bores (diameter, taper, ovality) and work out what remedial works are needed. If you're really lucky, you can use original bores and pistons, just new rings. This is a quick, cheap and rough rebuild that will get you going again. More likely you'll need a slight oversize with the first oversize set of pistons and new rings.
    Don't forget to replace bearings at the same time. The increased BMEP will kill your old bearings in no time.
    Do it once, do it right and don't be afraid to spend a few $$ on quality parts.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks Hondarally,cheers mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Fellas I'm at the stage of looking at big end an main bearings. Honda mentions something about colour coding.

Does anyone know what this is about? Is that sizing or placement on the crank?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Its sizing..
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

B18C7 into GSi

Quote Originally Posted by aldo10 View Post
    Fellas I'm at the stage of looking at big end an main bearings. Honda mentions something about colour coding.

Does anyone know what this is about? Is that sizing or placement on the crank?
    Unless you are buying oem bearings you won't get the same tolerances of bearings.

Your builder should measure the clearances for you but essentially aftermarket ie ACL only come in standard or extra clearance for race application (can't remember what they call this exactly). Honda bearings come in different grades to keep tighter tolerance on clearances. It is marked on the case and crank, you can only see this after disassembly.

Go buy one of these, it will answer pretty much all your questions and guide you through the build process.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360604443521
    Last edited by rc_; 07-06-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    That is a very helpful book when you are new to the whole rebuilding process
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Appreciate that. Thanks I'll have a read.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Hi fellas I tried ICB Motorsport and seems they don't do orders to Australia.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Hey guys I’m stuck with locating the fuel pump fuse. I’m ready for start up on this Integra but need to momentarily stop the pump. Any help much appreciated.