Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: B18C7 into GSi

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Nice one rc,bookmarked! Thanks mate.

So to swap over pistons only,car goes up on hoist,remove sump etc and pistons are removed from the underneath yeah? 5-6 hours labour + pistons.

600 + 400 = $1000? Does this sound right. Need to change anything else while it's open?

I'm just planning for future. .
    The engine is generally removed from the vehicle and completely pulled apart. The block needs to be bare to be bored and honed..

There's heaps of info around the web on rebuilding engines. I would advise doing some reading..
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Would advise not to advise lol

Have read heaps but I have questions,do you mind if I ask?

No bore and hone,just replace pistons only.Have seen it done.

My question is if I replaced the pistons now would that avoid a bore and hone or you should do them both really anyways.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Would advise not to advise lol

Have read heaps but I have questions,do you mind if I ask?

No bore and hone,just replace pistons only.Have seen it done.

My question is if I replaced the pistons now would that avoid a bore and hone or you should do them both really anyways.
    Lol how will the new piston rings break-in if the cylinders aren't honed? I'm intrigued.
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 26-05-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    Just give em a quick rub with 180 grit, she'll be right
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    LOL there's ALWAYS one isn't there.

Now,instead of Google searching it,I'm gonna ask another question super-man.Just to give you a good ol' laugh

Hone-ing lol doesn't mean you need over sized pistons? But how do you really know if it requires a re-bore?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    LOL there's ALWAYS one isn't there.

Now,instead of Google searching it,I'm gonna ask another question super-man.Just to give you a good ol' laugh

Hone-ing lol doesn't mean you need over sized pistons? But how do you really know if it requires a re-bore?
    Dafuq are you on about?

I'm saying that new piston rings need a honed cylinder wall to break-in.

You are telling me that it's possible to simply fit a new set of pistons and rings without any machine work.. Can you also explain to me why you would do this, knowing that your piston rings won't break-in properly?

Quote Originally Posted by YeahByuddy View Post
    Just give em a quick rub with 180 grit, she'll be right
    I'm gonna do this next time I do a rebuild. Good info in hear.
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 26-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Cheers gotcha.How do you know if you need a re-bore though? Inspection and measurement?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Cheers gotcha.How do you know if you need a re-bore though? Inspection and measurement?

http://bfy.tw/C0j8

first result
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Nice link hehe

Yeah Have to inspect and measure.

There's no point in replacing pistons only. If they are worn out of spec or failed then you will need a bore and hone anyway at the least. You also will need to ensure correct piston to bore clearance then as super-da9 says the honing is important for bedding in the rings. While it's out you would at the minimum replace the bearings as well, clearances have to be checked at the same time the crank may need polishing or linishing of the journals.

There's many things to check when the block is apart, it really needs full inspection before reassembling anyway. The cost will always be more than you think, if you do all the removal, tear down and reassembly yourself I'd guess prices around the 3k mark once you factor in all the consumables/gaskets/seals etc that would be needed. That is for a cheap build too without any fancy brand name parts bumping up the price.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_ View Post
    There's no point in replacing pistons only. If they are worn out of spec or failed then you will need a bore and hone anyway at the least. You also will need to ensure correct piston to bore clearance then as super-da9 says the honing is important for bedding in the rings. While it's out you would at the minimum replace the bearings as well, clearances have to be checked at the same time the crank may need polishing or linishing of the journals.

There's many things to check when the block is apart, it really needs full inspection before reassembling anyway. The cost will always be more than you think, if you do all the removal, tear down and reassembly yourself I'd guess prices around the 3k mark once you factor in all the consumables/gaskets/seals etc that would be needed. That is for a cheap build too without any fancy brand name parts bumping up the price.

With old engines like these it's almost not even worth it if you don't do most of the tear down and assembly yourself.
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Only if cylinder walls are damaged.

This video has a description of parts changed and why.Also swaps em' out from UNDER the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmdpRxWq7gA