Thread: B18C7 into GSi

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Fantastic. Much appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Which I have now found red/blue on the bottom most passenger suspension tower plug. Present on engine loom blank on cabin loom. Good stuff.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Wired up and no more engine light. Stoked. Thanks RC.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Well I have performed a cold engine compression test and numbered as cylinder 1 from drivers side I got 210-240-240-240. A nip of oil down cyl one saw my numbers bump up a smidge. I don't know what the allowable variation is but 30psi sounds significant.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Ideally you want them within about 10% so that's probably a bit too much of a drop, but the compression figures themselves are very healthy so I wouldn't be too upset.

Is the car blowing smoke under load? Get it looked at and find out if it's a valve or ring issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury

B18C7 into GSi

I'm just trying to locate some extra length feeler gauges to double check the valve clearances with regards to the compression variance before I look further. This week I'll try an oil change just in the hope of something changing. I'll see if I can chase a leak down tester.

Yeah Dougie prior to me wiring in the knock sensor it was blowing smoke under load. I haven't tried seeing what it's like since the sensor has been wired in.
    Last edited by aldo10; 19-12-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    What colour smoke?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury

B18C7 into GSi

Combo of blue and black.

I have just set all valve clearances and found all of them to be pretty generous. Most of the exhaust had pretty big gaps.

Rest to •155mm inlet and •178mm exhaust. Specs said •17 +\- •02 and •19 +/- •02

It was a little rattley.

I've yet to try it for smoke with the knock sensor wired up. I've also made an oil change to full synthetic. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Well I've come to the conclusion this thing is up for a rebuild. Damn it lol. Out it will come again. I can't stomach getting around in a smokey car.

Just deciding on a home build or off to the shop.

I've done a number of motorcycle engine rebuilds and 1 car engine rebuild. Not really sure I'm in the mood for a rebuild that could take months due to time.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Folks I've finally finally pulled this engine out for a rebuild. The machinist has informed me the current pistons are not up to spec. Well worn and a reborn to 1st oversize is on the cards.

I've called Honda for genuine pistons/rings. Price is $850

Looking at eBay stuff from the States. These two kits in particular?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NPR-81-5M...3D111417188700

Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YCP-B16-B...1851&_trkparms

Anyone had any experience? There are piston kits all the way through the price range which well exceed the Honda genuine. You get what you pay for?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by aldo10 View Post
    Folks I've finally finally pulled this engine out for a rebuild. The machinist has informed me the current pistons are not up to spec. Well worn and a reborn to 1st oversize is on the cards.

I've called Honda for genuine pistons/rings. Price is $850

Looking at eBay stuff from the States. These two kits in particular?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NPR-81-5M...3D111417188700

Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YCP-B16-B...1851&_trkparms

Anyone had any experience? There are piston kits all the way through the price range which well exceed the Honda genuine. You get what you pay for?

Thanks
    I remember that RS machines pistons used to be popular for B series rebuilds. Not sure what they cost but it might be worth having a look at.

Don't really know about NPR, never heard of them.
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 25-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    CP is good
    FFamily