Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03' CR-V Sport

Honda CR-V losing significant amounts of oil

G'day,

Recently I've been driving my mum's 2003 CR-V Sport (my old magna has shit itself) and it is losing vast quantities of engine oil.
    It was serviced by Honda ~5 months ago and I asked the mechanic why it was losing oil at a faster than normal rate.
    They found a small oil leak (can't remember where) which was fixed and explained the oil stains on our drive way.
    He also explained that Honda have very lenient oil consumption tolerances, which also seemed plausible.

Since the service, the oil leaks have stopped but the consumption has sky-rocketed.
    We filled it up to full before a 1,000km road trip. Upon checking levels afterwards, it had drained to below the minimum marker.
    I'm very unsure as to why this is happening. The exhaust fumes appear fine, however once i-VTEC kicks in there's an unusual amount of thin grey smoke emitted (it looks like un-burned petrol to me).
    The car doesn't get flogged, i-VTEC only kicks in when overtaking/entering a freeway via on-ramp.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this? CR-V's or any Honda vehicle? It will be getting serviced again soon, hopefully this issue is fixed.
    Just wondering if this is a common issue or if I should be concerned?
    Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    What oil are you using? maybe do a compression test.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03' CR-V Sport
    Shell 15w-40.
    I'll ask the mechanics about it when we take it in for a service