Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic coupe vti

HID - high intessity discharge

does anybody know the laws about HID's is queensland??? i was thinking of changing my EJ8 stock lights to HID's??? or should i just stick with my bulbs as it is or can i change my bulbs and if so, are what are the laws for changing them??? thanks

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Laws say you must have HID-specific projectors, autolevellers and headlight washers.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    As aaronng mentioned, you must have projectors suited to the HIDs. Although this hasn't stopped heaps of people just plugging the HID kits in their stock headlight projectors anyway. I myself included.

If you want to run the risk of getting a canary (which unless you get something over 6000 kelvin, I doubt...unless the cop is a smarta$$) then go for it.

I think it's pretty hard to find aftermarket projectors tailored to suit aftermarket HIDs.
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Mini Cooper, 07 FD1
    but the lexux car factory HID don't use projectors.... they use reflector

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by applio View Post
    but the lexux car factory HID don't use projectors.... they use reflector
    That reflector is a HID-specific reflector. Just like the Accord Euro base model with halogen, its projectors are actually different to the HID projectors of the Luxury model.

Anyway, the projectors are the least of your worries. Even if you get proper projectors, to be 100% legal, you still need autolevellers and washers. But there are many cars with HID kits that blind cars and they just take their chances with the cops. I've personally seen one being breath tested and they didn't even check his HIDs, which has lowbeams that blind more than highbeams. LOL
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    second what was said above... any after mkt HID kit is illegal within Oz especially those crazy 8000k or 9000k set...
    But now days there are few halogen bulbs that do generate whiter outputs than normal halogen like the Philips Crystal Vision etc.. so i'd say if you get a kit with Kelvin between 4000 to 5000k, and lowered your low bean as low as possible, then i do not think you would get pulled over and get done...
    However it is still illegal so unfortunately the risks still exist.
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin' - EuroAccord13, Mugen88, Adammet04, jamchen, krogoth, yourfather, Sydsyd, Atjo, SiReal, Xplodin

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic coupe vti
    if it is illegal, why are they sold in shops???

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    simply because there are demands for these things... Demand = Supply will give you a perfect economy...lol
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin' - EuroAccord13, Mugen88, Adammet04, jamchen, krogoth, yourfather, Sydsyd, Atjo, SiReal, Xplodin

DBG Krogoth Array
    Car:
    M35
    i've been using HIDs since last year, never had any problems with cops...

jamchen is right, cos demand for HIDs still there, so shops supply them...even though it's illegal to fit into any random car without HID-specific headlight housings...at the end it's up to the customer him/herself to get it fitted into their cars, and risking themselves to get fined...just like neons (cannot be on while driving/in motion, still u see some ppl use them in their cars) and DVD screens (not to be up while driving)...
    Team Yum Cha Daily

DBG - A New Revolution in Car Modding

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamchen View Post
    simply because there are demands for these things... Demand = Supply will give you a perfect economy...lol
    Microeconomics right there

I have my HIDs pointing very low, but it still gives me great sphere of lighting.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonkuraz View Post
    Microeconomics right there

I have my HIDs pointing very low, but it still gives me great sphere of lighting.
    i remembered i read from somewhere that the cause of the glare is due to the light that is direction to the bottom of light housing and reflect to upper side... So simply output from the bulb lights towards bottom of the reflector housing then reflect which is going to the opposite direction...

When you looked closely to any cars with HID standard and with reflector.. there's a shield on the bottom of the bottom part where the bulbs sits.. so that it will first reflect the light back to the top bit of the reflector housing.. so less glare and more light output towards downard direction
    Team Yum Cha Daily

Quote Originally Posted by jamchen View Post
    When you looked closely to any cars with HID standard and with reflector.. there's a shield on the bottom of the bottom part where the bulbs sits.. so that it will first reflect the light back to the top bit of the reflector housing.. so less glare and more light output towards downard direction
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.