Jazz 2006 GD 85,000 Km's Manual Clutch + Gearbox Problems/Advice

Hi Everyone

Need your advice on the following if you can: Gearbox is crunching in several of the gears (double clutching seems to help with clutch flat to the floor and no noticeable slip).

Changed fluids with little difference and may be up for a recon gearbox?

1) Any thoughts about the gearbox?

2) Should I replace the clutch at the same time if I go ahead with another gearbox and other parts

3) Any recommendations on where to get parts from (I am in WA)

I have started to read some forums and have picked up snippets of information but I am a noob when it comes to cars!

Thanks in advance.

Reth

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Sounds like worn synchros. Inspect clutch for wear, though might be a good time to do clutch regardless of how much meat is left, machine flywheel and do rear main seal while you're there.

Does it still crunch if you shift slowly? (as in give the synchros time to do there job). If so check your hydraulics first before ripping out the box.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    Sounds like worn synchros. Inspect clutch for wear, though might be a good time to do clutch regardless of how much meat is left, machine flywheel and do rear main seal while you're there.

Does it still crunch if you shift slowly? (as in give the synchros time to do there job). If so check your hydraulics first before ripping out the box.
    Hi U Mad

Thanks for replying so quickly!

Sometimes it helps when you shift slowly. Also if the car has warmed up somewhat also seems to help.

What fluids did you change ?
    Make sure you properly changed the gearbox fluid with Honda mtf 06 , and properly bled the clutch system with dot 3/4 fresh fluid. These can make a huge difference.
    Next inspect the clutch master and slave cylinders for irregular noise and leaks

If the above is fine then minimum you are looking at a box drop and inspection. If the Ks are high and you can't determine when the clutch was last changed I would do this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    What fluids did you change ?
    Make sure you properly changed the gearbox fluid with Honda mtf 06 , and properly bled the clutch system with dot 3/4 fresh fluid. These can make a huge difference.
    Next inspect the clutch master and slave cylinders for irregular noise and leaks

If the above is fine then minimum you are looking at a box drop and inspection. If the Ks are high and you can't determine when the clutch was last changed I would do this as well.
    Ok, service was done by Honda - complete flush and bleed on the clutch a couple of months ago (not sure what fluid they used but presume OEM) - nothing noted wrong with the clutch master and slave cylinders. Gearbox untouched!
    Have noted your comments and will investigate and look into the gearbox. Cheers Bennjamin

Ok, so just a quick update on this. Had it with the mechanic this morning and he has confirmed it is a problem with the clutch (but let's wait till its pulled apart before complete diagnosis). Clutch master and slave seemed ok and will inspect seal and flywheel as well when the clutch is out.

So, on the hunt for a non OEM? clutch kit - any suggestions or pointers?

Cheers