1.8L Manual FD1: Problem and Solution

Hi All,

I just want to share the problems and solutions I have of this car from brand new. I rarely see the similar problems from my previous car and / or other people thru the internet, so I think it might be good idea to share it to FD1 owner who might have similar problems. Hopefully it helps.

Problems and Solution
    1. Problem: front windshield water nozzle squirting water on road bumps (not all but most). Solution: Open the side cover of the windshield cowling which is accessible from the engine bay. What I found is the water nozzle tube is pinched by the top strut mount bushing. Reroute the tube away from the top strut mount. There is a hook inside the cowling which I believe made for mounting this tube inside the cowling. I use this hook.

2. Problem: engine knocking at 5000-5250 rpm during acceleration. The sound similar to a gravel or metal thick needle being thrown to solid metal object at high velocity. High pitched ticking sound. At that time I was using Caltex 98 Octane and Castrol Edge 10W-30 Oil. The car was around 3500 km new. Solution: Shell 95, Shell Helix 7/10W-30, motorway run on weekend and occasional acceleration maybe once a day just to ensure the combustion chambers are clean. Note: I am change the oil and oil filter every 5000km. Air filter every 10000km. I often heard it is better to use average quality oil and change it often rather than using best expensive oil and change it every 10000km.

3. Problem: random clunk / noise on R/H side inside the engine bay on road sharp bumps. The sound is similar to an empty plastic jar or mineral bottle filled with stone and being shake. Not tock-tock, click-click, clack-clack, cluck-cluck. But more like clook-clook. Very hard to describe. I replaced the top strut mount, top mount bearing, strut but the problem remained. Went to many mechanics including Hanny Performance and 2 authorised dealers (still under warranty that time – 45000 km / 2.5 yeard) but no result as it is hard to reproduce the noise. Solution: The culprit is a faulty engine mount. The main round cylinder hydraulic engine mount. It has no crack, no leaking, and it didn’t collapse. There is around 10mm gap from metal to metal. How I solved it? Long story. I placed a mic which I bought from Jaycar. Yes a microphone with blu-tac and tapes! I run a cable to cabin and record with a laptop while driving. I placed the microphone on several suspected points and found the engine mounting can produce the loudest thump or clunk or more precisely clook-clook sound. It was hard to distinguish the sound as the engine bay is very noisy too!

4. Problem: Air leak hissing sound with faint sewing machine sound inside the cabin. Sound loudest around clutch area. The sound similar to leaking exhaust combined with sewing machine sound. On the outside of the car, all sounds normal. No leaks sound, no sewing maching sound etc. Normal sound. Solution: Steering Shaft Rubber boot which is located on the engine bay just outside the Firewall. Mine is somehow moved. I suspect due to bad workmanship of Thailand manufacturer.

That’s all folks. Hope it helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    If you bought it brand new, why didn't you get the dealer to fix it under warranty?

All these problems, especially the knocking are no laughing matter, and by playing with things you've accepted accountability for them
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    If you bought it brand new, why didn't you get the dealer to fix it under warranty?

All these problems, especially the knocking are no laughing matter, and by playing with things you've accepted accountability for them
    I did bring the car to Honda but generating the issue is another problem. it is better to have blown motor rather than half problematic car. I do have bad experience with authorised dealer (toyota landers blacktown). The car under warranty and they messed up the aircon. and its never be the same until i sold the car. They solve my issue but creating another issue. Hard to prove. But I surely know they messed up the freon pressure. I have brought the car to many mechanic to fix. It is never be the same.

The warranty work only can be done during weekdays to.

Anyway. the topic is not about why i didnt claim thru warranty. the topic is sharing my problem and how i fixed it :-)

i still love the car. dont get me wrong. it drives beatifully for the money i paid for it.
    Last edited by riftan; 23-02-2016 at 10:02 PM.