Thread: Painting help!!

Painting help!!

Hi guys,

I have recently decided to paint my k24 rocker cover, spark plug cover and heat shield.

I am after a metallic look and I have decided to use Dupli-Color Metalcast paint.

I have successfully painted the rocker cover red, in which it now appears a very nice, metallic red.

With the plastic covers, however, I am having some serious trouble as the paint is coming out horrible and appears as a light candy colour with no metallic look what so ever.

I used the same process and paint for the plastics as I did with the rocker cover, can someone tell me why this is coming out so wrong?

I have heard of some people using plastic primers, is this what is needed to obtain the same look as the rocker cover?

Please help, or provide suggestions, thanks!

Under coat it kgo

I have undercoated it with a white high-temp paint, it still turns out the same

plastic primer kgo

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    How have you prepped the plastic?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

I've sanded back the plastic originally. The first time I painted it I sprayed it straight on after sanding. The second time I tired painting (after sanding the paint back again), I applied a high-temp white paint to act as a primer and then I applied the colour coat. Both times have turned out with the same result

Duplicolor Metalcast have an undercoat if that helps...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter